What unknown musical artist would you like to share with your fellow audiophiles?

When it comes to music, about half of my friends are "collectors" and the other half are true audiophiles. It seems the collectors are so obsessed with the size of their collections, that they leave no room in their budget for quality audio equipment. I think the audiophiles, with their focus on quality over quantity, are the ones with their priorities straight. So, unless you are on an unlimited budget, I'm guessing that audiophiles are more selective in their musical purchases. That being the case, I'm curious about what "buried treasures" have you been able to find? Thanks for responding and I look forward to discovering some good music, based on your suggestions.

I'll lead off with the band Crack The Sky, most notably their first two albums: "Crack The Sky" (1975) and "Animal Notes" (1976). I would describe them as a cross between Be Bop Deluxe and Frank Zappa. Their music is unique and totally unmistakable with anyone else. Choice cuts from the debut album are: "Ice;" She's a Dancer;" "Mind Baby" & "Sleep." Choice cuts from Animal Notes are: "Animal Skins;" "Wet Teenager;" Virgin....No" & "Maybe I Can Fool Everybody."
mitchagain

Wolf, I drove to Austin with my bass player partner in 2008, to see what the housing market was like. We were thinking of moving there and hiring ourselves out as a rhythm section (but ended up not doing it). We checked into a fleabag motel and went downtown to get a beer. The bar we went into had a small stage (I don't think there's a bar in Austin without one ;-), on it a drumset and a couple of amps. The band was on break, but soon returned to play another set. To my utter surprise, the guitarist was Redd Volkaert! For those who don't know, Redd was Merle Haggards' guitarist for many years, including 2008. I assume Haggard was off the road, and Redd was living in Austin, doing casuals around town.

Arbert Lee (Emmylou Harris, The Everly Brothers) use to play this little bar in Ventura (on the coast between L.A. and Santa Barbara), and on those nights the place was always packed with guitar players, coming to watch, listen, and learn. He always closed the night with "Country Boy", a real showpiece for his abilities. By the way, Alberts' current drummer is a friend of hi-fi retailer Brian Berdan (that's how I met him), and his speakers are stacked Quads!

Post removed 
bdp24, When you were in Austin, did you ever hear Jimmy LaFave?  Jimmy was a legend there, wrote his own great songs, and did the best Dylan covers I have ever heard.  There are well over 100 videos of Jimmy on YouTube, many from small clubs in Austin. He also did great covers of Jackson Browne, Neil Young, Gram Parsons, etc.
@boxer12  Thanks for the recommendation on Mono.  Will check them out this evening.  Glad you got to see Low in person!
+ 1 on Jimmy LaFave. Great original material as well as covers. I think he curated the fine Jackson Browne tribute CD "Looking Into You," which happens to feature some Austin based artists: Bob Schneider, Eliza Gilkyson and Shawn Colvin.

Another good source material for Austin based artists is the KGSR "Broadcasts" CD's. Volumes 1 (1993) thru 16 (2008) are worth seeking out. These CD's are full of fantastic acoustic performances by well known artists, as well as a good share of Austin based artists that are not as well known as they should be.