What unknown musical artist would you like to share with your fellow audiophiles?

When it comes to music, about half of my friends are "collectors" and the other half are true audiophiles. It seems the collectors are so obsessed with the size of their collections, that they leave no room in their budget for quality audio equipment. I think the audiophiles, with their focus on quality over quantity, are the ones with their priorities straight. So, unless you are on an unlimited budget, I'm guessing that audiophiles are more selective in their musical purchases. That being the case, I'm curious about what "buried treasures" have you been able to find? Thanks for responding and I look forward to discovering some good music, based on your suggestions.

I'll lead off with the band Crack The Sky, most notably their first two albums: "Crack The Sky" (1975) and "Animal Notes" (1976). I would describe them as a cross between Be Bop Deluxe and Frank Zappa. Their music is unique and totally unmistakable with anyone else. Choice cuts from the debut album are: "Ice;" She's a Dancer;" "Mind Baby" & "Sleep." Choice cuts from Animal Notes are: "Animal Skins;" "Wet Teenager;" Virgin....No" & "Maybe I Can Fool Everybody."
mitchagain
First, thanks to three_easy_payments for re-kindling my affection for Crack The Sky. The Youtube videos are off the hook! Just ordered 2 copies of For Catherine.
If you are from the Chicago area, Mr. Blotto is no stranger to you. They usually headline every street festival in town, and play at least 3 nights a week at different venues around the area. If you get a chance, go see them. This is one of my favorite videos by them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiTXQlQRS70 .  

Almost 20 years old, and it is a daily listen/watch for me...just makes me smile.For a live blues album, you can't go wrong with "Seth JamesBand @Gruene Hall" Texas blues at its best.....if you can find a copy.

@mitchagain, great stuff! The 1st and 2nd Graham Parker albums feature the playing of a couple members of Brinsley Schwartz (the band), including Brinsley himself. Speaking of that band, Nick Lowe, himself a member, said they were trying to sound as much like The Band as they were capable of. Another member was Ian Gomm, who is also a relatively-unknown real good artist.

Dwight Twilley (the group) is a particular favorite of mine, especially when drummer/singer Phil Seymour was a member (the first two albums). Their Sincerely debut album is in my all-time Top 10 list. It's really, really good.

John Hiatt is very well known, and his Bring The Family breakthrough album is unbelievably great. Not just great songs and singing, but also the playing of Ry Cooder, Nick Lowe, and Jim Keltner. I saw that line-up live, and it was a high point of my musical life.

Loudon Wainwright III is known, but not as well as he deserves. A great, great songwriter, his Last Man On Earth album is particularly good. By the way, early in his career he wrote a song memorializing the birth of his son Rufus, "Rufus Is A T*t Man" ;-) .

I hope everyone knows all about Marshall Crenshaw, who has made a lot of great albums. He plays almost all the instruments on his #447 album, which is packed with great songs.

Another relatively unknown working in the singer/songwriter style is Michael Kelsh, whose Bill Halverson (Clapton, Hendrix, Albert King, Neil Young, Beach Boys, Cream, C, S & N, hundreds of others) produced Well Of Mercy is fantastic. The album was executive-produced by Rodney Crowell, who I hope everyone knows of.

Great topic!  I wish some posters would avoid every possible opportunity to argue, but I guess that is the state of AGon today.  Let's keep it focused on the topic - good music.

So, I just placed orders for Crack the Sky and moe.  Both, thanks to the recommendations here.  

I'll contribute two of my recent favorite current bands
- Tedeschi Trucks.  Kind of a mix between Allman Bros, with a Bonnie Raitt lead vocalist.  Really good rock/blues
- Widespread Panic.  Great jam band, and their recordings are excellent.  Check out the Wood box set.
I found Tedeschi Trucks earlier this year and really love their first album. Their second album gets stelar reviews but leaves me cold. The same thing happened, for me, with Alabama Shakes. I don't dislike either of these band's second albums but they just don't do it for me.

Gary Clark, Jr.'s second album is not the tour de force his first album was but it is still great.

I have high hopes for third albums from all these bands.

The Struts, that I mentioned earlier (glam pop), just released their second album and it is every bit as fun as their first. It will be a long while before a third comes out.
Another great band to check out... New Orleans Suspects.  Bluesy with a zydeco groove.  Kaleidoscoped is available on vinyl.