OPINIONS PLEASE - Phonostage for new Rega P8/Apheta 2 - Sutherland 20/20 or Allnic 1201

OPINIONS PLEASE - Phonostage for new Rega P8/Apheta 2 - Down to Sutherland 20/20 or Allnic 1201 phonostages. Can anyone tell me anything about either? Would consider other in this price new/used but these seem pretty good.

I have got down to these two mainly for price (under $2k) and where my simple research has led. 

I am big into Digital and want to play around with some decent vinyl.

Nothing crazy but good enough that my Bricasti MISE w/Built in Ethernet Media Player doesn't blow it away so I am trying to put together a decent enough vinyl front end that will sound good enough that I want to use it. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Background:

I recently ordered new speakers that should be in a few weeks. Time for me to set up my vinyl front end to prepare for them. I am trading my Magico S5 for S5 MK II. 

Room is 12 x 23 w/Cathedral Ceilings - 15 Foot a peak - Set on long wall

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35630112@N05/46190013771/in/dateposted-public/

Music: Assorted Music no metal or loud hard rock anymore really - not much Large Scale classical either but everything else.

Likes: Transparency- Delicate-linear-Dynamic-Fast - high resolution-microscope but not sterile not etched or lifeless - I know there is a fine Line here but I'm looking to walk it and come out on the right side - but real see through into the music with some sheen and dabs of warmth - transparent to the source because I love my DAC - image and sound stage lover - tight bass - hate flab - like speed and transparency as my selection choices might speak to

From Audiogon Virtual System page:
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5160

Associated Equipment:

> Digital:
- DAC: Bricasti Design M1 Special Edition DAC 
- Digital Transport: Bricasti M12 Built-In Ethernet Network Player

> Analogue:
- Turntable: Rega Planer 8
- Tonearm: Rega RB880 Tonearm
- Cartridge: Rega Alpheta 2 MC

> Preamplification:
- Linestage: Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Reference Preamplifer 
- Phonostage:TBD

> Amplification:
- Power Amplifier: Pass Labs X250.8 Stereo Amplifier

> Loudspeakers:
- Transducers: Magico S5 MKII Reference Loudspeakers MCast Pewter, (Trading S5 MK I)

> Power Supplies:
- Linear Power Supplies: Uptone Audio JS-2 (2-Rail) Linear Power Supply, The Linear Solution LPS-912 Network Switch Proprietary Linear Power Supply, Breeze Audio 12v Linear Power Supplies (2-units),
- Switching Mode Power Supplies: iFi Audio iPower 9V DC
- Turntable Power Supply: Rega Neo PSU 

> AC Power:
- Conditioning: PS Audio Noise Harvesters (6) 
- Outlets: Furutech GTX (R), Oyaide R1 Beryllium (2),
- Surge / Spike Protection: Blue Circle Audio The Yalu Balula
- Power Strip: PS Audio Juice Bar MK II

> Audio Network Server / Hardware / Software:  
- Servers: Small Green Computer SonicTransporter,
- Storage: WD My Cloud 12v 2TB NAS, 
- PC: Qotom 190S Dual-Port - Baytrail J1900 12v Micro-PC
- Network Switch: The Linear Solution OCXO Audiophile Switch,
- Audio Software: Sonic Orbiter,  ROON 1.4

> Cables:
- Interconnect Cables: Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion XLR 2.0M, Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion XLR 1.5M, Darwin Ascension RCA 0.5M, 
- Speaker Cables: Kubala-Sosna Research Emotion 2.5M Spades,
- AC Cables : Kubala-Sosna Emotion AC 2.0M (2) Kubala-Sosna Elation AC 1.5M, Zu Event MK I AC 1.5M (3)  
- DC Cables: Gent Audio Custom DC Cables (Canare/Oyaide) (6), Upton Audio DC Cable 1M 
- USB: Audiocadabra Ultimus3 Double-Head Silver USB Cable, Curious Regen link, Uptone Audio USPCB A/B USB 
- Digital: Black Cat Silverstar 75 BNC/RCA 1.0M, MIT Terminator-3 RCA 1.0M, DH Labs Silver Sonic D-75 RCA 1.0M (2), Tara Labs Prism 100dx-1 Tosilink 1M.
- HDMI: AudioQuest Chocolate 1.0M, AudioQuest Forest 3.0M,
- Ethernet: AudioQuest Vodka RJ/E 1.0M, Cardas Clear RJ/E 0.5M, The Linear Solution Custom RJ/E 1.5M.

> Sundries / Accessories:
- Audio Racks: Solid Tech Hybrid 3+3 Shelves Audio Rack w/White Shelves and Silver Pillars, Solid Tech Rack of Silence Amplifier Stand
- Isolation Devices: SRA Ohio Class Isolation Platform, Symposium Acoustics Svelte Plus Isolation Platform, Isoacoustic Iso-pucks (8), Red Dragon Audio Ceramic Cable Elevators (4), EdenSound Brass Vibration Weights (8), Bright Star IsoNode Footers,
- Re-clock/Tester: DROK USB Multi-meter/Tester, Wyred 4 Sound Remedy Femto.

- Fsmithjack

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
waltersalas
thanks - the 1201 has the uplift gain trannys but they say they are good ones used in the more expensive ones. I prefer a discrete gain but for me sound is the most important. 

i love the Sutherland because there is no need for expensive power cable or power conditioner as I plug rest of my rig into that wall. 

Ive had a bunch of conditioners over the years and some really good ones and when I plug straight to the wall there is that little metallic hash I would love to get rid of but overall I much prefer to plug into the wall as the conditioners just take too much away. 

The Sutherland makes it not needed but in the end if the 1201 sounds better then that’s what I want.
Sounds like you all ready made up your mind and I understand this is way below your budget but I am running a Rega RP8 with a Dynavector 17D3 with a Manley Chinook Special Edition from Upscale Audio which retails for $2500. I recently just moved to a Technics SL1200G / Art9 cart and both sound very nice with the Manley "DEAD SILENT" with plenty of GAIN to have at 60db and can bump another 5 if needed for MC carts.
With that price range have you considered the LUXMAN EQ-500? Very well built and can be paired with many TT options.
I think that Lux phono is more then $2k used?

Trust me I like the Manley gear.

I’ve owned a half dozen of their components. The SE I think is around $3K today. Trying to stay around $2k but if there was a used one for $2k id sure consider it.

I think the Manley 40 mono blocks that were the precursor to the Mahi monos was my first really great impression of tubes. 

I had Martin Logan Spires, Ayre QX9 DAC, CAT SL1 MKIII preamp and added them 40’s from a Prima Luna Dialogue Intergrated. Loved it so much I jumped up to the Snappers but the EL34’s don’t have the incredibly transparent sound of the EL84’s. I picked up NOS Tele’s and loved those little monos. Not really enough amp for the Spires but they were great. I found the Shrimpy Pre to be just average and I guess that was sort of my worry about their phono. If it is like their Shimpy don’t think I’d like it much. People say more like the Steelhead though which is would be cool. 

Still not sure what phono but need to chose soon I think. Table will be in this week and speakers not much later. I guts to get off the dime! 
Rega’s own phono stages would match the apheta better than most, the Aria and the higher spec Aura. Is auditioning an option?