Movies employing music in a great way.

I find certain directors are more aware of great music, and of how to integrate it into their films, than are others. Jim Jarmusch, Martin Scorsese, The Coen Brothers, and David Lynch come to mind. But maybe my favorite use of music is in the movie The Last Picture Show; lots of Hank Williams on the radio in the old pickup truck driven in the movie, perfectly reflecting the grim, dying small-town and sepia-hued Texas landscape.
128x128bdp24
Lots of good comments above. Among the recommendations I am familiar with I would particularly second "The Last Picture Show" (a great film even apart from the music), "American Graffiti," and "The Blues Brothers." Regarding the latter, although I recognize that aside from the music it could legitimately be considered to be "a silly comedy," as stated above, on each of the several occasions my PhD wife and I have watched it we have enjoyed it immensely as comedy as well as for the music.

A thread such as this would not be complete, however, without prominent mention of "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg," a classic 1964 romantic French film directed by Jacques Demy and starring Catherine Deneuve, in which every word is sung rather than spoken. The music having been composed by Michel Legrand.

Best regards,
-- Al
@slaw "Another version of a tired thread,,,,"

Why respond to it then? Others, including me, are enjoying it.
@almarg Don't get me wrong. I wasn't disparaging the Blues Brothers movie. Its high in my top 10 movies. Still makes me laugh out loud. It is priceless.
"Breaking Away" features many popular Classical pieces interspersed throughout the movie that fit with the particular scenes used in.
I really like this movie! Plus the strong and silent lead character throughout... the Masi Gran Criterium!!! 
(Of course hose in the know, know) Orange bikes are the fastest; Velominati Rules