KEF for Near-field?

I currently have KEF x300A for my desk.

I'm looking for a great near-field solution, and am open to thoughts. I'd rather something easy I can buy easily.

Options: I do already own a Peachtree Sky & Audioquest Bi-Wire Cables. I suppose I could move it into the LR (or attempt to sell, but the 300/R3 I can literally pop into place). 

KEF R300: $1,200 (Current prices on sale). 
R3: $2,000 (Worth the $800 premium over R300's?)
LS50 Wireless: $2,000 (Seems ideal; but scared of failure)
matrixrabbit
@ matrixrabbit I owned the X300A and it was, but rather good for a desktop computer speaker. I got tired of it and gave it away to my nephew. 

I also have had the LS50 on my desk. I used isoACCOUSTICS stands (not expensive) and the sound was rather good though the soundstage was compressed on my desk. However, the LS50 is better than the X300A. My desk is around 5 feet long. A bigger desk would have been much better. 

I am currently listening to the passive LS50 on my speaker stands away from the desk and the sound is of course much better and I am hearing the best that the LS50's can do. I will pass the LS50 to my son's room soon. Never selling this speaker.

The powered LS50 has built in DSP so it will sound better on a desk than my passive LS50. The new KEF LSX is the replacement for the X300A and it is supposed to be a big improvement. Both the powered LS50 and LSX have desktop specific DSP settings.

I just sold a Audience 1+1 V3 speaker which I was using on my desk. It was a dipole design so you need to give it space on the rear. It has an incredibly clear sound (better than the LS50), but I found the imaging better on the LS50 and off-axis listening better on the LS50 so I sold the Audience. It also fits in the palm of your hand and weighs 8lbs. Something to look into for a small space if off-axis is not a big deal for you. The imaging issue was likely due to my off-axis placement. Use isoACCOUSTIC stands if you are using the 1+1 on a desktop.

@yyzsantabarbara 

Thank you! The x300a is surprisingly great for the price and ease of use. The LSX is a bit small, and doesn't have a USB connection for my desktop.

You didn't mention the R3/300. My top choice ATM is the R300 since it's 1200 NIB, looks gorgeous, bi-wire, and won't have to sell my Nova. I've heard it's "softer" sounding with more bass.

I'm still memorized at the LS50W option, but again for someone that has an amp, cables, not sure it'll solve that bass/softer solution. By far if I didn't own those, it would be the obvious choice. 

@matrixrabbit I do not know anything about the R3/300. I am not sure about your electronics since I have not heard them. There was a Christmas sale on the passive LS50 from the online KEF Store for $999 . The passive LS50’s can be found on A’gon used for less than that.

https://www.kefdirect.com/ls50-black-edition.html

https://www.kefdirect.com/speakers/stereo-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/ls50-mini-monitor-speaker.html

I’ve heard all of the ones mentioned except the X300A. I have passive LS50’s on my desktop now, but would have the LSX if they were available when I sprung $900 for the LS50’s that really are a little too large for this application. The LSX is a killer speaker for the size and the money! There are myriad other ways than USB to get music from a computer (digital optical or Ethernet) and of course wireless & Bluetooth.

The R300 at the current price are a great value, but for near-field use I feel there’s too much separation of the Uni-Q driver and bass driver. Same goes for the R3, and profoundly YES they are worth the money...as stand mounted speakers in a larger space.