Streamer recommendations for dummies.

I’m new at this.
I need an e-net streaming device for AirPlay that can be set to a specific gain to prevent iTunes users from overwhelming my amp with the preset volume on their device. Anything above 60% is too much.
It would be nice to be able to EQ at the streamer as well, but the big problem is volume; when an iOS or OSX device sends a song to my amp at high volume (ear bud volume) it basically blows my bookshelf speakers off the stand.
Equipment:
amp: Hegel H160 -150 W RMS X2,   32-bit AKM DAC @ 24/192 except USB at 24/96 on 1 GB e-net.
speakers: SF Concerto on stands.Ben
casteeb
I guess my h160 did have the streaming, I just never could get it to work correctly, maybe the h190 is better.
Oh and do not start with Apple and iOS!
With one fell swoop earlier this year they made the vast majority of older Apple devices obsolete with the iOS11 update which the vast majority of older devices CANNOT be updated to!
Say what Apple! Thanks a bunch !
So I had to buy a newer iPad just to update the Lightning DS app for Auralic which now needed iOS11!
GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!
Why would this gentleman need a Dac based streamer sucn a Node when the Hegel has a good dac built in?
The digital volume control applies to the digital outputs of the LUMIN products, and the LUMIN U1 and U1 Mini do not have analog outputs. What I confirmed last night was a LUMIN feeding S/PDIF out to an external DAC, with the digital volume control engaged.

In other words, if OP's guests AirPlay to a LUMIN, it will volume limit playback via digital out to any DAC (i.e. the Hegel H160).

For EQ, the new miniDSP SHD devices also accept AirPlay and have built-in DSP options. I don't recall if there is a preset volume setting you can control though, for when AirPlay would kick in. However the UX is less polished than some other devices which might create some annoyances for you in exchange.

Unfortunately I can't think of any other AirPlay-compatible devices at the moment that will override the source's volume setting.
I like LUMIN specs a lot, but the price tells me they are targeting folks with pro audio equipment. Appreciate all the info, this has become a more interesting hunt then I had anticipated.My limited experience and testing has shown me that one thing really did make a difference in my setup and that is EQ functionality.It may be worth throwing some extra money at this problem to gain better control over the input. I've done a bit of digital recording of acoustic  guitar with Apogee, Neumann and Apple recording products, so I shouldn't be surprised by that...but somehow I never really connected the two...  we'll get this dialed in before it's over.

Ben
I'm a strong proponent for Dirac Live room correction, over standard PEQ of frequency response. The time-domain correction is an incredible improvement, that pretty much everyone loves once they hear it.

miniDSP's boxes are the most convenient way to add Dirac to a speaker setup, although you can find Dirac integrated into other products from brands like NAD, Bryston, Emotiva, Arcam, and AudioControl.

There are other products besides Dirac that offer similar functionality, but none that are as easy to use and integrate into an existing system in terms of hardware or software in my experience.
Comparing the options Node2i, Yamaha WXC-50, LUMIN, AURALIC,
miniDSP SHD ... Unless I'm missing something, I'm thinking node2i is probably the best bang for the buck and least risk. Have to give up the EQ option but ...we can figure that out later.....
Thanks guys, really appreciate all the ideas.Ben