Does anyone care to ask an amplifier designer a technical question? My door is open.

I closed the cable and fuse thread because the trolls were making a mess of things. I hope they dont find me here.

I design Tube and Solid State power amps and preamps for Music Reference. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, have trained my ears keenly to hear frequency response differences, distortion and pretty good at guessing SPL. Ive spent 40 years doing that as a tech, store owner, and designer.
Perhaps someone would like to ask a question about how one designs a successfull amplifier? What determines damping factor and what damping factor does besides damping the woofer. There is an entirely different, I feel better way to look at damping and call it Regulation , which is 1/damping.

I like to tell true stories of my experience with others in this industry.

I have started a school which you can visit at http://berkeleyhifischool.com/ There you can see some of my presentations.

On YouTube go to the Music Reference channel to see how to design and build your own tube linestage. The series has over 200,000 views. You have to hit the video tab to see all.

I am not here to advertise for MR. Soon I will be making and posting more videos on YouTube. I don’t make any money off the videos, I just want to share knowledge and I hope others will share knowledge. Asking a good question is actually a display of your knowledge because you know enough to formulate a decent question.

Starting in January I plan to make these videos and post them on the HiFi school site and hosted on a new YouTube channel belonging to the school.

128x128ramtubes
I am getting some ground loop noise from my Classé 5300 amp.
I wired studios with 1000's of interconnections. We never used cheater plugs. E V E R !!  Solve the problem, don't bandaid it. Sometimes it involved fixing the gear's internal wiring.

Are you using balanced or unbalanced inputs? If balanced, remove the screen connection on the amp end. In a balanced system, the screen should be lifted on all the driven ends.

Get some shorting plug and start with just the amp connected to the speakers. Add in each component back from the amp. When the hum starts, solve the problem there and continue.

@almarg Many Thanks!

In your case, both your VAC and Pass amps are capable of producing 32w I presume. What gave XA25 an edge over the VAC amp with your speakers? Does XA25 have less distortion due to its class A operation in the first 25 watt?

@ieales.  

Hum is coming from the center and surround speakers and am using unbalanced cables.  
I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but could you explain what shorting plugs are?
@ffzz, you’re welcome!

My former VAC Renaissance 70/70 MkIII amp is a class A amp employing four 300B power tubes per channel, in a push-pull parallel configuration, and is rated at 70 watts per channel. It is a 100+ pound beast, which I believe consumes something like 700 watts of AC at all times, converting most of that power into heat that is injected into the room.

The Pass XA25, as you realize, is rated at 25 watts into 8 ohms and 50 watts into 4 ohms, operating in class A, and it is specified as consuming 240 watts of AC. John Atkinson’s measurements that were provided in conjunction with Stereophile’s review, though, indicated that it is capable of providing 80 and 130 watts into those impedances, respectively. He stated that some of that disparity is due to the fact that Pass bases its power ratings for the amp on much lower distortion percentages than JA uses, and presumably a lot of that disparity reflects the XA25 transitioning to class AB when outputting more than a certain amount of power.

As I mentioned in my earlier posts that you saw my speakers are nominally 6 ohms, and have an unusually flat impedance curve as well as relatively high sensitivity, which makes them very versatile with respect to amplifier selection. Since like most solid state amps the XA25 is designed to provide an essentially constant output voltage into varying load impedances, for a given input voltage, (as long as the amp is operated within the limits of its maximum voltage, current, power, and thermal capabilities), even if we assume the very conservative 25 and 50 watt numbers it can be calculated that it is capable of providing at least 33.3 watts into 6 ohms.

I wouldn’t say that the XA25 has "an edge over the VAC amp." They are both wonderful amps, in their own ways, and some non-sonic reasons factored into my decision to change. See the comment I left two days ago near the end of the following thread, as well as a subsequent comment by member "1markr":

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/pass-labs-xa25-amp-and-bw-804-d3

Best regards,
-- Al