Am I asking too much?

I've spent the last three days chasing a ground loop/hiss issue.  I have unplugged and replugged every combination possible, have tried different type of grounds to phono stage, tried different phono stages, different lines into the amp, different turntables and still when I crank the volume with nothing playing, have this hiss.  At lower volumes I don't hear it, but if I turn it up, it's there.  I probably would never listen that loud, but still worry that at base levels the sound is compromised.  I've had this system connected for a month and don't know if the hiss was always there, or if, when I had to rearrange and reconnect due to Christmas and the wife factor, something changed.

My system is a Line Magnetic LM216IA tube amp, a Heed phono stage, a Rega Planar 3 TT (which doesn't have a ground wire) which plays to Audio Physic bookshelves and a JL Audio e110 sub. One of my biggest concerns has been the lack of ground with the Planar 3.

My system is plugged into a Torus Power Conditioner, so I thing I have that base covered into a dedicated line.  With all these electrical precautions am I expecting too much asking for a black speaker background?

Will be interested to hear similar ground loop stories or thoughts on whether there are other issues that I haven't considered.

udog
First question do you have a ground loop which is a low level humming sound or do you have a hiss?

A hiss is found  in components sometimes with noisy tubes or high gain, and more efficient loudspeakers.

If you have a ground hum you may want to try cheater plugs one at a time first on a power conditioner, then on the amp and preamp one at a time on each component.

Also check your interconnects sometimes the connector looks good but you have a fine crack on the wire and you are not getting a good ground.

First thing to do is to unplug all components just plug in the amp do you have any noise? 

Then plug in each component one at a time till you find the culprit. 

Good luck

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

Sounds to me like you’re just hearing the natural inherent noise floor of your system. When you "crank it" to hear the hiss, you’re almost certainly ratcheting up the volume control beyond unity gain and, thus, the noise becomes more pronounced. Possibly, noisy tubes are contributing.
Post removed