New Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo - Thoughts

Any Thought's on the "New" Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo

Any Rega owners / dealers / folks familiar with the table and/or brand have any thoughts / advise about this table / brand / combo? 

I am trying vinyl again... Tried it before without much luck. Table / cart / phono set up was too finicky for me and I wasn't able to get decent sound. I sold it all and am now giving it another try.

I also chose a Sutherland Duo phonostage to match with it.

Would love thoughts, advise, ideas or feedback. I have never owned a Rega product before. Going to set it up tonight but still waiting for my phonostage to be mailed to me. Would love some feedback. 

Thanks  

System info

Rega P8 Turntable / Apheta 2 Cart
Sutherland Duo Phonostage
Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Linestage
Pass Labs X250.8 Amp
Magico S5 Speakers (MK II's on order)

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
A record clamp is usually not used with Rega turntables Though if an old used record (not the op's!) are dish warped.. On a Rega they WILL almost stop turning... Then I use the weight from my Kuzma to hold down the LP. (So it turns with the platter properly) But otherwise no clamp.                             
The op also states : on the Rega Aphelion. It is the only Rega update I can make.  You can use ANY (compatible) cartridge. The Rega carts have three mounting points. others have two. The normal situation is two, You CAN mount a two point mount cartridge on a Rega. I use a Benz Glider.                        
Handle the record by the edges. IT can take a bit of practice to lift a record off a moving platter and flip it over and put back... Without dropping it, or touching the grooves. but to old LP users it is second nature.

sbank

Hey Spencer!
Thanks so much! Great info. I am going to read it all and follow this advice now and get a good record cleaner and some nice sleeves and do it the right way. Thank you

No I am not going to get the $5000 Rega cart anytime soon. My point was more that they offer no other ones to upgrade from between what I have. I got a really good deal in the P8 / Apheta 2 combo and an even better deal on my Sutherland Engineering Duo phonostage so I am excited about trying to get this right.

My hope for now is get it sounding good enough that I enjoy and want to listen more and then work on picking up 2 or 3 new records a week and see where it goes.

I have read about cleaning. I would like to start with something in the $500ish range if that is possible and go from there. Is that too low and those are junk or are they ok? I will also get the fluids if they don't come with it and some sleeves. 

So basically you wash the record then play it. Make sure it is dry of course.

Is there a stylus cleaner you recommend. I see there are those little brushes that you need to make sure you only rub the way the records goes. Then I saw those ones that you just drop the needle on and move a little and drop back down that the crud sticks too? What one of these do you recommend? 
Thanks   
elizabeth
Thanks Elizabeth, I was like oh no they forgot to pack the record clamp and stylus force gauge. Being a former VPI owner I thought all turntables had these things. Thanks for the info. 

I own one of these below in the link.

If at some point down the road I had a warped record I should try it or is it too heavy? I use it as a component wight as it is 2.75 pounds but its really just a heavy record wight? Thanks 

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-aluminati-stainless-record-weight-2017-07-29-analog?sho...

jperry
1,344 posts
01-01-2019 9:13am
I think you should not buy a turntable and sell the few records you own.

Posts like this is why this is a pretty lousy forum and why audiophiles come off as dorks.
Post removed