Turntables

I am kicking the idea of trying out vinyl. It’s been a long time since I had a turntable and it took a lot of thought whether I can deal with what always seemed like the snap, crackle & pops of an album. Anyway, I’ve decided to take a plunge after all the buzz how awesome it is. Of course before I make any final decisions, I always turn to the Audiogon community for their expert thoughts, opinions and education. I’m also looking for suggestions for a nice affordable table with tone arm and cartridge. Being the fact this is new to me and I may hate it, I’m looking for suggestions on the best affordable set up I can do for a new or used in the price range of $1000/$1500. I’m sure I can get a better bang for the buck going used. I just don’t know anything about these animals. My system is older but I still enjoy it which consist of a Mark Levinson 23.5 amp, Proceed AVP 2+6 used for 2 channel audio, Audio Acoustics model 9 speakers, Ayre DAC for digital with Transparent Audio Ultra mm2 cables. Any input is greatly appreciated!
128x128luvrockin
You can plug the Rega power plug into a regular outlet that's a different circuit to try and eliminate the hum.  The ground lug on the phono pre you say is tight so the issue has to be from another cause. Was the hum present at first set up or only after changing to the better ICs from other system?  Or you mentioned having multiple stereos, can you insert the TT into another system to see if hum persists?
Luvrockin, ran into friend at a party last night that I knew owned Rega p6 and p10 years ago and I mentioned your problem. ( noise gets louder as headshell moves toward spindle) He had same problem with p6 and said it is well documented. So it's not  just you. One thing it could be is motor is not well shielded. He mentioned adding adhesive foil shielding tape over the hole by the motor( this is what rega did with p10). Could also be tonearm is not grounded, there is a wire inside the the tonearm that sometimes comes unsoldered but you have to unscrew end stub off and re solder. From what I understand you can take a wire and touch it to head shell screws or tonearm and ground it to Preamp ground to see if in fact tonearm ground is faulty. You can run a ground from PSU chasis to Preamp ground? Please research this before doing that, I don't want to give false information. He said you can try moving power supply as far from motor as possible. If you touch tonearm screws or tag wires going in cartridge or spindle does noise get louder. Also mentioned was Rega cartridges are not shielded very well, really don't know as I'm not familiar with Rega. Since you bought this at a dealer can they help you or maybe get your money back if table is faulty. 

Guys thank you again for your input. Sorry I’ve been away with the holiday. Here’s some things I noticed and things I tried. I brought down my Transparent Audio Ultra cablesand the sound quality is pretty awesome. Some progress made. As for the hum and noise issue with my Rega, I tried isolating power sources, moving the power supply and pre phono with the same issue. The hum and noise level is definitely higher as I move the arm in towards the LP. I found the ground connector had a loose connection, it pulled off in my hand. Ithought this was it but as I connected it direct to the phone pre, it still had the hum. I crimped a new connector on the end of the ground. I have 3 systems in my home. I brought the TT up to my Mc setup which is pretty simple. It consists of a Mx-130 used as pass through 2 channel pre and a MC7300 amp. The MX-130 has a build in phono stage so I didn’t use the Rega Pre phono. Powered the system up and there is still a hum and static pops. I’ll get more into the pops in a minute. I brought the table on to my 3rd system which is a Jolida RC-1000 tube integrated amp. Plugged in the TT along with the Rega phono pre and as strange as can be, there is no hum and the amp noise level through the speakers is minimal. When I mentioned I’d get back to the popping sounds. I have said way back the disappointment of the Norah Jones LP I purchased but I noticed something else and it’s on all 3 systems. When I remove the arm from the album and the arm is in its rest, there are pops and crackles coming through the speakers. There’s no doubt the LP is not a good pressing but I believe some of the pops I’m hearing is the same pops I hear with the needle off the record. The last thing I tried for today was something the seller suggested. I have the TT on the very top of my rack which is right above a power conditioner for my DVD player and projector. He suggested unplugging that unit and sure enough, the hum dropped drastically. The system noise is still exceptionally loud and the crackling and popping when the arm is NOT on the record still exists. Gonna keep poking away.
I could be wrong but sounds like you may have 2 problems motor, power supply and cartridge together causing hum. The pops and clicks when no record playing sounds like tonearm ground problem. My table did pop/click while no record playing when my tonearm ground came lose from chassis. I'm not pointing blame but maybe previous own became tired of fighting multiple noise issues. If it was me I would try to return table. Hope your able to resolve issues one way or another.