Nottingham Spacedeck vs Rega Planar 8 vs Technics SL1200G

Hey Everyone,

An analogue newbie needs your advice.

Firstly I am not looking for any TT recommendations other than these 3.

My system is Devore O96, and the amplification would be either Lyngdorf 3400/Coincident Frankenstein combo or a Shindo pre/amp combo (forthcoming). The phono stage is TBD.

The sound I like is rich, full-bodied, with a good bass (I love percussion, and the double-bass instrument and  Mingus is my fav jazz artist). I am very sensitive to even a hint of brightness. I don't care about the typical audiophile presentation -- gobs of detail and soundstage but no soul.

My music of choice is jazz, vocals and small-scale instrumentals. No rock, no pop, no western classical.

Would love your thoughts on these 3 choices.

Since I am a newbie, easy setup is big win, which might tilt me towards the Rega or Technics, but with Nottingham I have a great dealer support that I would completely miss out on if I went with Technics (no Technics dealer in a 5000 mile radius).

I used to own a Rega RP6, so am familiar with Rega sound, and like it. But my RP6 was bested by my DAC (AMR DP-777) so sold it a few years ago. So I want a TT that will compete with any sub-10000$ DAC.

Looking forward to your thoughts that will help me scratch my analog itch.

essrand
"I didn't tape it, it just sits there without the hole touching the spindle."

Thanks Inna!  I will try that.
@stereo5

I truly appreciate the info you have given me, but as my Technics sounds fine (to me) as is, 300-450 is still way too much for a record mat.

In my opinion SAES is the most reasonably priced mat on a used market today. This is not just a flat piece of something (like many other mats), this is a very special design and material. Look at the top surface and at the flipside. This mat was designed for all size of records, not just for 12’ inch, but also for 7’inch. I think it’s pretty smart design compared to many other mats on the market, most of them are just flat like a pancake. The material is a very special aircraft alloy, i think we can trust SAEC engineers, those guys tried to make exceptional mat and i think they did it right. This mat is not fragile as the BA Graphite mat for example.

Also i can’t remember any static issues between the SAEC mat and the record. Saec SS-300 alloy mat (870g), as you can find online, eliminates the distortion-producing resonance in the 200-400Hz range, which is common to most all conventional rubber mats. This results in a 10~20dB net reduction in overall resonance, to further reduce distortion at its source. Some cartridges, especially the LOMC, are sensivite to the rotor under the platter, felt mats can’t solve the problem. It will help you to block EMI effect (electromagnetic interference). So i think you know what you’re paying for when it comes to SAEC mat.

Technicst rubber mat must be replaced and many Technics owners did that first.

I would think that money would be better used to get a better cartridge. I use a ZU modified DL103 which was around 550.00 when I purchased new.

That’s right, i’m sure it’s too much for any cartridge with a conical tip! For under $400 you can have NOS Pickering XSV-3000 MM with original Stereohedron nude diamond. It’s one of those killer MM for amazing price (pay less to get more). Highly recomended not only because i have a spare in NOS condition, but mainly because i am a Stanton fan, Pickering was a parent company or Stanton Magnetics Inc.

I am willing to spend up to 200 on a record mat and am waiting to hear from the dealer that sold me the Technics as he also sells Oracle. Thank you again for the information, you are one of the most knowledgeable people regarding turntables I have ever come across. The information you have freely given is invaluable.

You gave me too much credits. Thanks. Do not always listen to the dealer who is limited to a brand new audio stuff, in this case you’re ignoring some amazing products from the past, when something survived after 30-40 years and still highly regarded it must be exceptionally good like those SAEC and Micro Seiki mats for example.

My next purchase will probably be a Dynavector 20X2L later on this year. As for the record mat, if I can purchase the Oracle in the 200.00 range, I will probably go for it. Do you know how it compares to the Origin mat?

Can’t comment on those mats, but look for the material, shape and everything which makes them cheaper compared to Made In Japan SAEC for example. There is a reason why those mats are cheaper.

The best Dynavector cartridge i’ve tried on Technics turntable with stock Technics tonearm was DV-23RS MR (Ruby/MicroReach). I’ve bought it in NOS condition on ebay for about $500 and this is a good example why Denon DL-103 variations must be avoided. There are better carts with better cantilevers/diamonds even cheaper in NOS condition. Dynavector is high compliance MC which is perfect for Technics tonearm (much better match than Denon 103 low compliance).
Uber, 

i was hesitent myself but this agon member has done a lot of deals on agon and his reviews are 100% positive. Figured it was worth a shot. I’ll be putting my Concept Mc cart up at a very nice price if all goes well. 
Mat doesn’t have to be the same hardness as vinyl.
Many people don't understand that the mat can have a big effect on the sound of the turntable.
The function of the mat is two-fold: first to damp the LP, and second to damp the platter. Both are important.
To damp the LP, this means that vibration from the LP must be absorbed and converted to heat. To do this without reflecting any of the vibration back to the LP, it must be the same durometer reading as the LP (the same hardness).

To this end you might use a stack of LPs but they aren't the right shape. Most LPs have a lip on the edge and a raised label. That is where a proper platter design pays off.

If the LP is properly damped you won't hear much sound coming from the LP surface (with the volume turned down) although this is not a 100% best way to know. To do that, a 20Hz-20Khz sweep tone does the job- it should play back nice and flat but distortion should be lower as well, since the LP talking back to the stylus will be creating distortion.
@atmasphere 

Interesting test, Ralph. Just did it with two test LP's.

The first was a 20-20K sweep on a highly dished test LP. The sound was audible with no amplification from the seating position.

But, with the Analogue Productions test LP, in new condition, bands 6 and 7 generated almost no audible sound, peaking at about 400Hz (Side 1, band 6 is 1K to 20K sweep, band 7 is 1K to 20). This would appear to indicate a good coupling between the record and platter.

But the upper platter is isomolded graphite (GM-10), with a listed hardness of 65psi. This would seem to be notably harder than the vinyl used in LP's - but my interpretation of the data I could find, may be wrong.

What are your views?