In line Attenuators with Passive Preamps

Most digital sources output 2 volts or more. Most amplifiers come to full power at far less voltage. This scenario creates using much of the attenuation provided by a preamp.  One way around this is to use an in line attenuator between source and preamp.  

My questions are: 1) Should a in line attenuator be considered when using a passive pre?, 2) What in line attenuators might be useful? and, 3) What capacitive load do they add to the signal between source and amp? This would certainly be of importance when using a passive preamp.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmesch
Thanks George. I believe the SYS has a input impedance of 10K. In conjunction with the 51K input impedance of my Nuforce STA200, I have a combination having ~8.8K impedance. My source is a PS Audio Digital Link 111 DAC which has SS analog output. I haven't found an output impedance for this unit however feel safe it is very low. If, after exploring the use of a passive, and I wish to continue with this approach,  I will likely upgrade from the SYS and consider your Lightspeed. 

RE the in line attenuation, I have decided that I may have over thought this situation and no longer am considering the use of them. 
RE the in line attenuation, I have decided that I may have over thought this situation and no longer am considering the use of them.
I'm assuming the reason for asking about the inline attenuators is that maybe you feel your Schiit Sys volume control is coming on too fast still down low?
This could be a possibility if Schiit use a 10kohm pot, but a "linear one" and not a "logarithmic one", then it did only cost $49.

The Lightspeed is made so it behaves like a logarithmic pot, so it's volume will come on slow and build till you get to around 2o'clock after which it's volume increases far more rapidly.

Cheers George  
Thanks George! Exactly my concern. I am certainly interested in the Lightspeed. Yes, a logarithmic approach is what is needed with the gain and sensitivity of the STA200.