Duelund DCA 12ga Hookup Wire

Just tried Duelund DCA 12ga on speakers (2 pairs TRUE bi-wiring) and VERY VERY impressed with SQ especially for the price. Now thinking building XLR ICs with either 20ga or 26ga ...

Questions for DIY members:

1. Do I just use 3 runs and solder them to positions 1, 2 and 3 on connectors?
2. Any specially weaving patterns on the wires?
3. Any suggestions using different wire for ground?
4. Any suggestions 20ga or 26ga?
5. Other suggestions?

joecasey
Yes I have. Most of my customers want long xlr cables and I think shielding is smart for these.

They can be built as you say with a shield which I have done. I like to use a shield on a properly constructed xlr cable.

This is a pretty good point that Paul of PS Audio made; 

Here's the deal. Balanced XLR type cables, when used properly, have great noise immunity (as he said). They accomplish this noise immunity through something called common mode rejection. Inside the balanced cables are two signal wires (where an RCA style has only one) and a ground. When something hits both signal wires at the same time (like noise and hum might) it can be said that this is a common signal and it will be rejected. Thus the term common mode. Make sense?

The reality is a lot less clear. The common mode rejection rate depends on the receiving and sending piece of equipment. Some products have great common mode rejection (CMR) and others have lousy common mode rejection. For example, PS Audio products have some of the best at about 80dB for our preamplifier. This is unusually high in consumer audio. Typically you might see CMR levels of 30dB, 50dB and so on.

What this means is that unless you are completely sure about the CMR effectiveness of your equipment, you're better off with a shielded version. Further, even if you have something that's as good as ours (and others) shielding the cable removes even more so that when you combine the CMR with the shielding, you get extremely quiet results.

if the cable is well designed, there won't be any negative effects to the shielding.

Hope that helps.

paul”
Been playing with very expensive ICs /SCs and gave me idea twist a 26 awg silver wire to my DCA 12ga SC.   Sound is touch more neutral, airy, clarity, smoother less grainy and better timbre.  

Very happy with results so had XLR ICs made with DCA 16ga and 26 awg silver.  Now changes are more enhanced, easily decipher Louie Armstrong lyrics , tighter imaging, more tuneful deep bass ...

Next I combined 3 runs 26awg silver to 12ga SC, been only 2 days but like the results.
I haven't found tipping point where too much silver cause brightness and dryness.  Going to enjoy the changes for a while and next will try adding more silver to ICs.
joecasey

For the speaker wire how did you add it to the to legs of DC 12?

For the XLRs, which cable went to what pin? 

Thanks
For SC, twisted to both legs and then twisted both legs together. 

For XLR, twisted to pin 2 and 3.   Using copper braided shield.