Back to the drawing board

I hate to start this again. I really had my heart set on 2 svs sb3000. But know after careful listening or maybe this time around I realized what was happening.  So I went to best buy just to re evaluate my decision and noticed I did not like what I was hearing.  Thus time around I had a couple of hours and has my significant other with me, oh no what we heard totally ruined our previous thoughts.  In one room I listened to the rel t9i and the svs sb2000.  The svs had the out put but not the detail and it really hurt the mid range and uppers. Lower base was not full or detailed. Now the rel, wow it just blended really nice and was full, detailed and just sounded right. I'm thinking to myself this can't be right. So off to the other room, svs sb 4000, 16 ultra and the rel s5. Now again the svs has the output or pressure. But the s5 totally beats both of them on detail, disappearing,  tight,  full and more sound stage. I went back and forth between these 2 rooms, playing the same 2 tracks I have always demo with. I know my ears would not lie. So now unfortunately I am reading again. I am considering 2 t9i or 1 s3.  I think I will also demo the JL e110 and paradigm defiance x12.  Wish I could demo a rymthik,  but don't know any places to demo. I will make the trip and one place has the JL and rel. 5 miles further down I can demo the x12.  I now know the sound I want and unfortunately it's not svs with its great price and impressive output. I'm sure the subs are great, but not what me and the ms want in our system.  Has anyone demo JL and rel side by side?  I love the rel sound, is paradigm or rymthik as tight as rel. I've never listened to JL.  I guess a road trip is due. Room is 8ft ceiling 14x24, hardwood floors. Thanks for any help you can give. Pete
pcc67
I have tried to use a sub twice in my audio life       
The problem I found was alternately getting the sub 'right' for Classical and Jazz OK, but then Rock it would be way off (way too much)  Down to the right place for Rock, nothing there on the Jazz in particular, Classical maybe, maybe not.
The other problem I have is living in an 'over 55" apartment building. No chance a lot of wall thumping would fly.  
I actually partly bought Magnepan due to the strange fact Maggie bass does NOT travel much through walls, doors. at all. (Somehow the attack is just too soft to hit the walls hard enough to cause them to pass on the sound?) I was worried about the 20.7 when I upgraded.. But there are only a few Rock albums which I find I need to use earphones! rather than face the dreaded' "Notice to evict" mailed to me.  
And yes folks have moved in, day one or two decided to rock it out,, Make it known they plan to PLAY LOUD MUSIC!, and in three days they are told to either get with the plan (quiet) or move out. I have been here 11 years... I recently asked my neighbor whose bedroom is on the wall my stereo speaker is 18" away from... Am I bothering you with the music. Nope. Which is great!    
So no sub for me. Plus I am a treble freak. HF is where my brain needs perfection. MIds have to have clarity. Bass? clean, but I have no need for much in the bass department.          
I answered to the question since I can guess at how poor the setup would be at any Best Buy. (even some real audio stores might fail to set up the subs well...)
To be fair I haven't listened to vandersteen.  I have 2 vandy 2wq in an other room that I dont use and was going to sell. I own a spl meter from rad shack. I will look into these tools.  Hopefully i will understand it
That makes sense Elizabeth.  I to enjoy the mids and uppers also. But excellent low bass is great also. I want it all. Lol
You should probably give the guys at SVS a call and see about doing an in home demo and getting some tips on proper setup.  I'm with the others who question if the SVS subs were set up correctly at Best Buy.  Your experience doesn't line up with mine or the dozens of reviews / posts from owners that I've read about SVS subs.  I haven't heard the newer SVS subs, but wouldn't expect them to be a regression from their previous products.
Thanks Big,
I totally agree with you and the others. Especially when I researched so much about svs. I read everything I could find on svs and never read anything really negative about them. Everything was very positive.  I need to talk with the misses tonight about a road trip tomorrow. I spoke with a couple audio places today and one place has both JL and rel.  The other store has paradigm and svs, plus many other subs. Both stores are hi end.  I was there couple months ago when I purchased my winds. Hopefully she will be into a road trip. Both places will also let me take home for demo. But I can't do it until I come from vaka. Then I will order an svs sb3000, and borrow the JL, rel and paradigm.  I really appreciate everyone's response.  Doing all this is so difficult when u need to drive far.  Hopefully i will also demo the anthem avm 60 and mrx 720. If they are both the same on music I will opt for the 720. Save a few bucks. One more question.  When I called one of the hifi stores I asked about discounts.  They said 10 percent.  Is this the norm? If not, how can i get more, they seem to be steady on 10 percent. Thank you all so much. Pete