Room Dependent

It's always interesting reading opinions about speakers on audiophile forums without the room being mentioned. The room is what we hear and as far as components go, the room and the speakers are one component. Giving an opinion on a speaker is a bit precarious without the room being presented. Also saying a speaker is good or bad makes little sense for the end user. Speakers almost always sound good to the maker in their own personal setup, but what happens to that speaker as it is moved to a different environment is reliance.

As the hobby continues to mature the distance between the experienced and limited experience and even no experience widens. I know for me those who have not applied practical application to this topic, or any audio topic as far as that goes, rank a zero. When it comes to Speakers/Room "you should have been there" and "you need to be there" is a must.

Michael Green 

128x128michaelgreenaudio
If a speaker manufacturer cannot create a speaker that cannot work in the real world without having to create a 'perfect environment', then they probably won't be in business for long. 
A good speaker will sound good in any environment, and will sound great in a properly set up room.
Just my 2 cents...
B

gdnrbob

You really believe what you just stated, really?

That's my first question, second.....

Have you ever heard two environments sound the same?

Third, what speakers do you have?

Michael

I listened to Dr Toole's lecture discussing speaker sound and measurements backed by blind, sighted, dbl blind, etc and take it or leave it 89% of random listeners of all groups pick the same speaker regardless of room! He goes further to say above 300hz a rooms effect on speaker sound is minimal. I can't imagine a carpeted room sounding the same as a hardwood so maybe I missed a clarification in there somewhere. I wholeheartedly agree have bought more than a couple pair of speaker that sounded amazing in the shop or owners home just to buy them and struggle for months to achieve the same sound at home. I've read threads where you speak of tune able speakers? how's that work progressing? mind you i'm not in  the market for speakers.