Are DAC's overpriced?

External DAC's are pretty expensive imho... BUT I don't know that much on how to choose one. I want mostly cd's in my small two channel system... I am rebuilding after selling my Logans and Mac amp to go back to "drivers"! The Logans wore me out with Maintenance.  Should I buy a new cd player or get a new DAC for my old player?  
128x128captbeaver
Post removed 
Aside from the preamp choice, (the Parasound P6 is an excellent one), you could add the Oppo UDP-205 as your CD/DVD/Blue-ray source because it has the famed ESS Sabre ES9038Pro DAC. In addition to any type of disc, this unit has a ton of ways to add a digital source - HDMI, ethernet, wireless, coax, Toslink, and USB DAC inputs.  The accepted formats of the digital source start with simple mp3 and go up to DSD and MQA files.  Hook this up to your preamp using the HDMI (analog only), unbalanced (RCA), or balanced (XLR). Enjoy!

The Oppo costs ~$1500 if you can find one - Oppo recently stopped making them.  They will only get more valuable as they become scarce IMHO.
I owned a wyred4sound DAC1LE femtoclock, well over $1k, sold it to play around with analog for a while, ultimately replaced it with an iFi DSD Black Label which far surpassed the W4S in SQ and flexibility.   DACs are still changing rapidly and the quality one can get for under $300 is astounding, IMO.  
It all depends on what you want your system to sound like.  If you can use a soldering iron then change a few parts in your CD and pre and see what happens.  Most of the DACs I have heard in the $2K to $5K range really don't float my boat.  They very similar characteristics some do on one thing better than the other but not much to my ears in sound differences.  The Berkeley Alpha DAC mention was nothing exceptional when I owned it. Same with the Benchmark.  The Schitt again to my ears nothing special.  To me you are better off modifying one of your components that to buy a cheaper priced DAC.  You do not need a very expensive transport either as mentioned above to mate with a higher priced ( better DAC price does not dictate the sound).  These DACs if you look under the cover are not using any special parts like V-Caps, Duelands, Caddock resistors so to me they are nothing special.  You can but these better parts in your current components and to me achieve a much better sound in your system.

Happy Listening.