Thanks in advance for your opinion-

My system is:

Anthem Integrated 225

Musical Fidelity Cd as Transport

Schiit Modi Multibit

Technics Sl 1200 mk2

Usher Cp6311

Morrow Cables

I like the system overall, plenty of bass, voices sound realistic, highs are not strident, etc.

As a drummer, I love to hear hihats, cymbals, etc. On some systems in the past I’ve heard more of this than through my setup. Most of these setups have been in the past on equipment I perceive is a lower grade than mine.

My question is: 

Should I be hearing most every hihat strike, close? Is hearing these sounds consistently the sound of a revealing system or a ‘tipped up’ presentation that I would likely tire of?

Live music varies to me in this respect, and the music on my my system varies as well. Unfortunately, I’m not able to demo where I live, so I’m interested in your opinion. Fwiw- I hear all a lot more treble in my automobile, but could be due to the euphoric goal of the manufacturer. I’m in my late 50’s, so that may play a part-

On many jazz albums, it’s all there, others not so much.

Sorry for the one post.

Thanks
uncledemp

That's great news Gary! Here's what I tell & show my clients. It's all there, just have to find a method of fine tuning that works for you.

have fun

Michael Green

Hey Gary, have you ever heard the original JBL L-100 loudspeakers? They sound very much like the Shure SM-57 mic that a lot of the snare drums (and therefore hihats, to some degree) you hear on albums were recorded with. A nice, big fat presence peak built in that accentuates the frequencies right were cymbals reside. You might like them. I don't know if the new L-100 reissue retains that peak.
It’s not just the hi hat, it’s all the cymbals. In 78’ I purchased a pair of ess speakers with the heil air transformer because of their clarity. The heil air transformer is still being used in many speakers today. I’m listening to some old Kansas right now and you can pick out what cymbal is playing and what type/size it is. 
‘Watch out for cheap power cords/conditioners, they can do more harm than good. I had the power company put a whole house surge protector on the outside meter. Since then I plug my PS Audio BHK amp directly into a dedicated 20amp circuit. Before buying a Pangea power cable, do a in-house comparison with a good quality cable and there is a big difference. Pangea was a little bit better than the stock cable and it’s cheap. If you have many thousands invested in good quality equipment, get better power cables and power conditioners/transformers like the newer AQ Niagra series or the PS Audio Pxx products.
Bdp24- I have not heard them, but see them around infrequently for sale. I owned some 4312’s a few years back. Are they similar? 

Rbstehno- I agree, it is all cymbals. Your remarks encouraged me to put on some Kansas, I always enjoyed his drumming. There is a video of Kansas performing Down the Road for a soundcheck in the last few years, it’s awesome if you haven’t seen it. Thanks for your remarks on components, wiring as well.