Are DAC's overpriced?

External DAC's are pretty expensive imho... BUT I don't know that much on how to choose one. I want mostly cd's in my small two channel system... I am rebuilding after selling my Logans and Mac amp to go back to "drivers"! The Logans wore me out with Maintenance.  Should I buy a new cd player or get a new DAC for my old player?  
128x128captbeaver
And some CD players and transports do sound better than others. Folks call it ’jitter’ but that is just guessing. But maybe good enough.  

It's not guessing.  For transports is IS JITTER and ONLY JITTER.  I don't just call it jitter.  For CD players, it's everything in the DAC, including jitter.  I know this for a fact.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
It is true, jitter is the current 'catch phrase', covering everything from cellulitis to barnacles.      
Two old bags in the hair salon.. "My doctor told me I have toe jitter..." 
Car salesman: "And this used beauty... No jitter, not even a trace!"   
Judge Judy show:... Plaintiff: And we discovered after we moved in the house HE rented to us.. it was FULL of jitter". :How could we stay in such a place?" Defendant: 'They brought the jitter with them.."
@ audioengr 

Jitter is not the real problem today. Bad recordings are and probably will always be. 

Steve N,
Your comments about buying a DAC without a re-clocker are interesting, but perhaps a tad misleading. The world of sound is no better than the recording studio builds into it. So, there ya go.