Focal Scala Utopia vs Wilson Sasha?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has directly compared the Focal Scala to the Wilson Sasha? I have recently auditioned the Focal Scala a couple of times and whilst at first I was not quite satisfied , upon a second and more thorough listening I must say, I am seduced. Problem is, I have also loved Wilson speakers but, living in Australia- no one is getting the Sashas for another 2-3 months. Any suggestions?? Do I go with the Scalas now, or wait to audition the Wilson Sashas? Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.
-Cameron.
camali
Mert,

So have you formed a definitive view about scalas yet?

Others, what is your latest view?

Thanks.
Kw13

As far as every critical aspects of concerned, I have to say that Focal made a very good speaker indeed. Simply better than not just Sophia, SF Amati..., old Nova Utopia as well. Generaly speaking, if we say Focal Grand Utopia(latest) one of the best speaker that money can buy, few will argue and majority will accept this claim.
Scala is the Utopia Grand for us who don't have a large living room or dedicated listening room.
If you give me idea about your setup, I may make more specific comments concerning Focal Scala Utopia.
Mert,

Thanks, that's encouraging. I heard Scala only once and immediately thought it was ahead of every other speakers I had heard up to that point. (I only listen to speakers generally below US$40K. I have heard a few around 100K+ but didn't think there was anything particularly special about them.)

My set up is Cremona M + Marantz SA7-S1 + Naim amps (power amp 250.2 at 80w).

I could afford to upgrade to Scala and my budget would be burnt. I hope the amps are ok for a year while I save for
next upgrade.

My current room is 4m x 6.5m.

I will be able to audition Scala again soon in a similarly sized room. I will bring my amps.

But I will not be able to hear Maestro, which a few people here say is the sweet spot in the line. While undoubtedly superior (given price), I can't imagine that it would be much better. But of course I want to make the right decision. If Scala is most of Maestro but with smaller footprint I would be ok to live with Scala. For example, Amati is significantly "more" than Cremona M, and I would not settle for Cremona M. I would like to be able to settle with Scala for many years (if not a "last" pair).
KW13,
If you go with Scala, you need to spend 2.5 times more what you did in past. Naims is not everybody's taste and not the amp for every speaker. If you like Naim sound , maybe new Naim Ova.speaker will please you.
Regarding Scala-Maestro comparison, consider new Utopia floorstanders as whole. The size of the room is matter. For example, Wilson Max 3 is very good speaker but too much for my small living room. Sasha will play equally good in my room. Same rule applies to Utopia range. Very very good speakers demand not just best gear available but space as well.
As far as Amati Aniver. concerned, I choose Wilson Sophia 2 or 3 over Amati. I have tested Amati Ani. very objectively and couldn't make it sing despite various very good equipment.
I hope this helps...
I wouldnt call Scala just "less of grande em" or let say less of Maestro(which is realy diferent from Scala- in both smoothness and ability to play loud without stress,and without loosing soundstage. )

IMHO Scala is quite diferent from either Diablo, Maestro and Sella EM. the only similarity to other utopia II is technical performance of speaker drivers, but Scala have slight diferent signature than other models- its litle bit more agressive/hot in higher midrange(thought by no means its not yelling in face-its just when compare side by side with Maestro or Grande EM) , and more leaner in midbass- its perfect in small or problematic rooms with resonanse modes at 50-60hz or to "ligt music listeners" (small jazz groups, vocals, opera)