Focal Scala Utopia vs Wilson Sasha?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has directly compared the Focal Scala to the Wilson Sasha? I have recently auditioned the Focal Scala a couple of times and whilst at first I was not quite satisfied , upon a second and more thorough listening I must say, I am seduced. Problem is, I have also loved Wilson speakers but, living in Australia- no one is getting the Sashas for another 2-3 months. Any suggestions?? Do I go with the Scalas now, or wait to audition the Wilson Sashas? Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks.
-Cameron.
camali
KW13,
If you go with Scala, you need to spend 2.5 times more what you did in past. Naims is not everybody's taste and not the amp for every speaker. If you like Naim sound , maybe new Naim Ova.speaker will please you.
Regarding Scala-Maestro comparison, consider new Utopia floorstanders as whole. The size of the room is matter. For example, Wilson Max 3 is very good speaker but too much for my small living room. Sasha will play equally good in my room. Same rule applies to Utopia range. Very very good speakers demand not just best gear available but space as well.
As far as Amati Aniver. concerned, I choose Wilson Sophia 2 or 3 over Amati. I have tested Amati Ani. very objectively and couldn't make it sing despite various very good equipment.
I hope this helps...
I wouldnt call Scala just "less of grande em" or let say less of Maestro(which is realy diferent from Scala- in both smoothness and ability to play loud without stress,and without loosing soundstage. )

IMHO Scala is quite diferent from either Diablo, Maestro and Sella EM. the only similarity to other utopia II is technical performance of speaker drivers, but Scala have slight diferent signature than other models- its litle bit more agressive/hot in higher midrange(thought by no means its not yelling in face-its just when compare side by side with Maestro or Grande EM) , and more leaner in midbass- its perfect in small or problematic rooms with resonanse modes at 50-60hz or to "ligt music listeners" (small jazz groups, vocals, opera)
Mert,

Yes eventually amp budget will have to follow speakers. But one step at a time. :). Also will take my amp to check and make sure they could make something out of scala. I will not get scala without proof they r agreeable with 80w of naim power.

Elviukai,

How many times have u compared scala and maestro head to head? You seem to have formed a form view scala is not quite there. Would b interested in learning more. I spent only around 30min with scala with my wife. She liked it a lot too and admitted they were special but does not fully fancy them. She prefers Tidal.
Elviukai,
The thing is not buy a loudspeaker and accept how it sounds.
The thing is buy a loudspeaker and direct how it will sound.
There are variable factors that you may affect by choosing gear, powerconditioning, cables which will decide the character of overall sound.
When we talk about speakers around 30k usd range, simply we talk about a few exceptional designs available to end users. Most of them are well above certain level and capable 90-95 percent what Hi-End all about. Rest of the job is finding electronics and cables according to own taste.
""Elviukai,

How many times have u compared scala and maestro head to head? You seem to have formed a form view scala is not quite there. Would b interested in learning more."""

around 4-5times, also had them in my studio for a week with my equipment where i listened them,did comparision and also measured them. I have ability to test speakers before instaling them. by no means Scala is "not there" its very carefyly balanced speaker with tons of audiophile details. Just I am not a fan of of recessed midrange "tunel" and more prefer presence "tunel" where sound is also liquid and not anoying or shouty but also have feeling of intruments presence and palpability. for my taste its the most critical aspect- balance- to have ENOUGHT stage deepness (most sonus faber speaker does that trick) perspective but at the same do not lack midrange presence (wilson audio wat puppy, sasha speakers for example). in this respect i found Maestro superior to Scala and Grande EM. I had Diablo in bedroom but replaced with Sonus faber auditor M,- Diablo is speakers which also have some signs of big brother Maestro(trying to achive that presence) and it is not good for evening listenings- its just sounds too atracting and require atention-in another words - its not for background listening.

""""""07-06-10: Mert
Elviukai,
The thing is not buy a loudspeaker and accept how it sounds.
The thing is buy a loudspeaker and direct how it will sound.
There are variable factors that you may affect by choosing gear, powerconditioning, cables which will decide the character of overall sound.
When we talk about speakers around 30k usd range, simply we talk about a few exceptional designs available to end users. Most of them are well above certain level and capable 90-95 percent what Hi-End all about. Rest of the job is finding electronics and cables according to own taste.""""""""""

Mert, good point. however from my expierence nothing (except some changes- room acoustic) at whooping level will change speaker primary nature. yes hights can be smoothed out, or bass gripped up and so on. but some things is just against nature and physical laws. I myself for example prefer big orchestra and especialy wind bands -very few speakers on the market can reproduce scale ,presence and detail of wind instrumets(walthorn for example) focal has stuning ability to reproduce lower tone wind instruments in clear, non discorted or muddy aspect. for example when compared Scala and Maestro I listened listening Dallas wind orchestra "Strictly Sousa" and "Marches I've missed" albums- Scala does it clear and "audiophile" way-none detail is missing, while Maestro have the same, but also frigtnening presence of performance- I can feel wind instruments the energizing and vibrating air , and feel moments of dynamic outtakes when orchestra swings from fortissimo to pianissimo(not the backward-its the most enjoyable dynamic swing for me-when i hear "silence" in pause) I listen live performance one or two times in 2 weeks and would be silly to claim any speaker reproduce windband life like at all aspects but theese dynamic outtakes are damn close and this single aspect is enought for me to "take me there" - convince in musical performance.