How important is it for you to attain a holographic image?

I’m wondering how many A’goners consider a holographic image a must for them to enjoy their systems?  Also, how many achieve this effect on a majority of recordings?
Is good soundstaging enough, or must a three dimensional image be attained in all cases.  Indeed, is it possible to always achieve it?

128x128rvpiano
Orpheus10,

What you really meant to say is that you “revel in their ignorance” from your point of view.
+2 geoffkait.

I think most folks have not actually heard a system with a potential to reproduce ’real’ holographic soundstage, just as I think there are dammed few recordings which contain the necessary information to produce one.

orpheus10,

"let me explain; audio holography is quite similar to visual holography, and the better the lens and camera the better the photograph."

As with your comments on audio holography it is hard to argue the basic premise of your statement, however I would suggest that, as in photography, the experience of the audiophile is far more relevant than the quality of the equipment. Nothing is funnier than a ’photographer’ with his Nikon and a bag full of lenses who doesn’t know more about his hobby than how to take snap shots of his kids (if that).

rvpiano, "....revel in their ignorance"

Just as some might revel in his.....:-)   Witness his own posts.

A group of blind men heard that a strange animal, called an elephant, had been brought to the town, but none of them were aware of its shape and form. Out of curiosity, they said: "We must inspect and know it by touch, of which we are capable". So, they sought it out, and when they found it they groped about it. In the case of the first person, whose hand landed on the trunk, said "This being is like a thick snake". For another one whose hand reached its ear, it seemed like a kind of fan. As for another person, whose hand was upon its leg, said, the elephant is a pillar like a tree-trunk. The blind man who placed his hand upon its side said, "elephant is a wall". Another who felt its tail, described it as a rope. The last felt its tusk, stating the elephant is that which is hard, smooth and like a spear.

Since none of us can see sound waves bouncing around our listening room, we are all blind. If we all had the same identical equipment, including interconnects, we would all hear differently as a result of our different listening rooms.

"Holography" is not a trick pony, it is the "result" of correcting room anomalies by first recognizing, and then treating them. Once this is done, you will note a marked improvement in tone and timbre of acoustic instruments.

When people go as far as they can in regard to topflight components, and are still not satisfied, that's when they discover the room is at fault; after they correct this problem, that's when they retreat to audio Nirvana.