Unforgiving DAC or add Tube Preamp??

I have added a (Benchmark HGC 2 DAC) to run digital music to my Modwright KWA 150 SE.  At first I was impressed with the detail but much of my music sounds more harsh than what my ears are used to.  Apparently Benchmark DACS  are known to be unforgiving.  Should I look towards a different DAC or would adding a Tube Preamp be the best solution? Or change both? Recommendations welcomed!

Speakers : Dali Euphonia MS4
(#2) Rel 528 in stereo
puffbojie
You can try changing the wire from the source to the DAC. Upgrading it may help/ I have used a tube preamp to 'cover' for digital hash. A cheap tube buffer will NOT be much good for that purpose           
I highly suggest a preamp that uses 12AX7 as better than other tube based preamps for the purpose. Plenty of 70's 80's preamps around.
It is true the initial increase in clarity gets crushed by too much of it, after awhile.
McIntosh C2600 with 12AX7 tubes should be just what the Doctor ordered. 

Alternatively, PS Audio DSD Sr DAC has superb detail with a 10th row style presentation rather than Benchmark’s front row presentation.
First, make sure you have played music for at least 72 hours through it.

It may not help, but at least give it the benefit of the doubt.

If you still don't like it, I highly recommend the Mytek Brooklyn which is never harsh, but doesn't fully open up until then.
Best,
E