Top 3 Most Overrated Artists contest in R&R.

I nominate
#1 KISS (What is R&R hall of fame after all?)
#2 Jonn Bon Jovi (actually can share same spot with Kiss)
#3 Rolling Stones (mostly they just don't make sense and hardly ever I can note of anyone being any good there)
czarivey
Exile on Main Street is one of the best rock records of all time. Maybe like too 5.
I enjoy quality of musicias and don't care what style of music it is. Can't say anythng even simiar to Velvet Underground, The Band, The Who, Led Zeppelin -- they're just great.
Facts described here about RS speak for themselves.
None argues that RS are primitive and terrible musicians and yet, they're very popular and reached R&R hall of fame.
All of these facts are the facts of them being way way overrated. Math can make sophisticated arguments simpler especially to the question "Why Rolling Stones?" ..
See, you have to be cool to understand cool.
The Rolling Stones are cool.
Czarivey? Not so much...
Since I used to shop at the Colony in NYC years ago, I
learned one thing- People who SELL records are not the
people who MAKE records. They think they are, but they're
not. Forgetting, the RR Hall of Fame, which has become a
sham, it's not about whether or not you like a particular
artist. It's the impact they had on the music scene. I
really don't know what lasting effect Bon Jovi had, but as
to Kiss and the Stones... well, if you have to ask, you
can't afford it. Sleep well.
I should kick myself for even weighing in on these never to be resolved contests over who's good/who's bad. That said, to say that Keith Richards, Ron Woods, and Mick Taylor are "bad musicians" makes me wonder what standards are being applied here. These guys show up on pretty much everyone's "greatest ever" lists, Keith in particular. The thing I respect about the Stone's guitar work is that they eschew flashy "guitar god" pyrotechnics. Instead, they use two guitars to weave a bobbing and weaving rhythmic background that is musically greater than the single elements. If you can read music, check out the way their songs are put together and you'll see what I mean. You had groups like Clapton, Baker, and Bruce who were towering individual greats engaged in alpha male musical battles for dominance and many people respect that kind of group as an example of greatness. The Stones are the antithesis of that kind of musicianship imo. For them, it's a tribal musical thing, a sum greater than the parts.