Top 3 Most Overrated Artists contest in R&R.

I nominate
#1 KISS (What is R&R hall of fame after all?)
#2 Jonn Bon Jovi (actually can share same spot with Kiss)
#3 Rolling Stones (mostly they just don't make sense and hardly ever I can note of anyone being any good there)
czarivey
I love the Stones (up through "Sticky Fingers"--I don't get the hoopla about "Exile"). They have created some great sounds and deserve to be recognized as one of the best rock bands ever. They might be past their prime but if you look at their youthful accomplishments they are not overrated.
I'll make the argument for The Stones and acknowledge the argument against them.

FOR:
Rock music is simple, primitive, reductionist, sexualized, and aggressive right-brain music. It requires a back beat and a compelling lead guitarist who understands the anarchic role of a guitar in that formula. And it requires nothing else - indeed adding more (eg, harmony) dilutes the product.

The Stones are masters at the art. They make very simple music that many (including me) find compelling.

Note: While technical proficiency has very little to do with this, The Velvet Underground is a curious choice to hold against The Stones on this front. Keith is an outstanding rhythm player, Charlie Watts is a fine drummer and Ron Woods is a monster lead player. By comparison, The Velvet Underground is hardly head turning. Lou Reed and Mo Tucker aren't exactly virtuoso players.

AGAINST:
The argument against The Stones is the argument against pure rock n roll. It's simple, primitive, reductionist, sexualized, and aggressive right-brain music. Some people find that vulgar.

No argument from me.

BTW, I'd argue that Exile is revered because it is fantastically right-brain. It's stumbling, drunken blues run amok and IMHO might be as perfect an execution of that aesthetic as has ever been tracked.
Czarivey: Your grammar and taste are very questionable. Let's forget about all the great (and timeless) songs for a moment. Let's talk "musicianship", since you're chosen to attack the RS on that level. Watts and Wyman are one of the greatest rhythm sections in rock history. Keith is second only to Chuck Berry as a masterful licks player. Mick Taylor is one of the finest guitarists I've ever heard. As for Woody, I named my son after him. Jagger is not a great singer...really? They say you can't argue taste. In this case I'll make an exception.
Lindisfarne, as you may know, the site has technical problems and amateur crew supporting it. As I was typing some letters did go wrong or didn't go to the screen at all no matter how many times i tried to type them. We ain't talkin'bout gramma here dood after all.
If you haven't heard better guitarist than Mick Taylor, Good 4U, coz I did and plenT and not only rokk. Can any of them match the skill of Jimi or FZ I'd highly highly doubt it.
After all they're all celebrities so let them b and let me b 2
U R also free to specify any other band or performer you think is ovegreated instead of accusing me atcacking Drolling stones.
Excuse my wrong spelling dorn.