New Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo - Thoughts

Any Thought's on the "New" Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo

Any Rega owners / dealers / folks familiar with the table and/or brand have any thoughts / advise about this table / brand / combo? 

I am trying vinyl again... Tried it before without much luck. Table / cart / phono set up was too finicky for me and I wasn't able to get decent sound. I sold it all and am now giving it another try.

I also chose a Sutherland Duo phonostage to match with it.

Would love thoughts, advise, ideas or feedback. I have never owned a Rega product before. Going to set it up tonight but still waiting for my phonostage to be mailed to me. Would love some feedback. 

Thanks  

System info

Rega P8 Turntable / Apheta 2 Cart
Sutherland Duo Phonostage
Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Linestage
Pass Labs X250.8 Amp
Magico S5 Speakers (MK II's on order)

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Yes I agree -  I think a tube preamp - specifically a Herron phono I think would have helped a lot. Also, I think I probably had crappy records also.

My needle drop DSD Rips are to die for. Def not fair there either.

Sure they are new and no disrespect to Rega owners but not sure the Apheta 2 is the greatest cart either. I am sure the table is fine but a much better cart, Herron phono stage and some sweet, high quality records I am sure will provided much different results.

The one Dire Straights album I have sounds 1,000 times better than all others. The other ones I bought had all these great user reviews then I spun them and they sounded like crap. I am thinking what are those people thinking? Are all of their vinyl systems that better than mine or do what they think sounds good sound like crap to me? Not sure either way but when I try another set up which I will. I will take what I learned and apply it and make the above changes.

This time around wasn't too bad investment wise. I made about a $1000 bucks on all the gear listed above. A couple hundred here and there. 

I am not in this to make money but certainly am not looking to lose it either. I need it to apply elsewhere in my rig 

I make a point to try and buy right so if I don't like it I can move on to something else. Cover the shipping and PayPal fee;s and come away much smarter with a ham sandwich or two and that works for me. 

Doesn't always work like that but try to make smart decisions because I know how I am. If it doesn't sound good then I am a flipping it.

If anyone is curious every item up there sold within about 12 hours. Buying well thought of stuff helps I guess so when you buy it right you can sell it right and it sell quickly. 

"Sure they are new and no disrespect to Rega owners but not sure the Apheta 2 is the greatest cart either."

fsmithjack-I think final opinion on the cart is premature , because you DIDN’T hear it through a tube phonostage.

Doesn’t necessarily need to be through the Herron, but a proven model. Again, my subjective opinion. The Rega cart has plenty of positive reviews. It should, it was designed to match perfectly with the arm.

Honestly I don't think its as much about the Rega as to do with my Digital. I wish I could have you hear my digital so I could get an honest, objective 3rd party opinion. My digital just vaporized the Rega. There was nothing even remotely close but I know there much be more to analogue then my tries at it. I have purposely chose gear that I knew if it didn't compete I could move and get my money back.

What about going the other way. I legit high end table, tube phonostage and good quality cart. What do you think about this combo?

I can get a great deal on it but if this one doesn't work I won't get my money back. I have been offered an incredible deal on this table.

LA PLATINE VERDIER Turntable - I will update the arm with it but its a good one.
  http://www.jcverdier.com/ADSL/platineV.html

This one has no arm but what is as an FYI 
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/turntables-la-platine-verdier-turntable-mint-with-extras-2013-02-1...

Hana MC Cart

This above combo will cost me about $3,500 more then my Rega combo. I would start with the Hana cart until I get save for a better one. He actually send me the Hana cart mounted for free to try and if I don't like I send it back and he will send me a better one and not charge for it but he thinks I will really like it. I sold my phonostage and IC's so will need to work that out. For phonostage I was thinking this one below.

Manley Chinook SE phonostage

My dealer told me, promised me if I don't love it I can send it back so I would need to also buy the Chinook and some IC;s but thinking about it.

What do you guys think?  

fsmithjack-

Your choice for another go around is a serious piece. Along with the Chinook, If it doesn't grab you, maybe your ears simply prefer  digital perfection?

If I were  getting a top notch table like that, I would up the cart budget if possible. Nice choices at the 1K price point.

'I wish I could have you hear my digital so I could get an honest, objective 3rd party opinion. My digital just vaporized the Rega."

All that matters is what you like. It's all subjective at this level. 

@fsmithjack 
Well your situation certainly is interesting. I'm surprised the Rega didn't do better; you must (as you say) have one hell of a digital rig! I'm on the very opposite side of the spectrum - HUGE investment in 2 turntable rig(s), with almost nothing by comparison into digital. The most I stretched there was a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC (2.3K), Audiophilleo 2 w/ PP USB converter ($1K), and decent Audioquest USB cable ($500), driven from various audiophile players (Amarra, Audirvana) on my iMac. Good quality FLAC files, some high-res. And I had a similar end result here, but flipped: vinyl sounds as if it's from another world than digital.

As for your new proposal, I think the move to a tube phono stage is a great idea. Note the Chinook is technically a hybrid (FET stage for MC), and may or may not be enough performance to satisfy your very, very high requirements. Also my experience with hybrid stages like that (gain around say 64dB) is that they do best with cartridges around 0.5mV or higher output, and not so much the super low output MCs less than 0.3mV. I have a Herron VTPH-2A (hybrid) and it is absolutely fantastic with both Ortofon Cadenza Bronze (0.45mV) and Shelter Accord (0.5mV). I'd recommend a look at that stage too; it's wonderful and might just make your cut.

I'm much more skeptical that the Hana, while well reviewed, would meet your high standards. The carts I've heard or owned between 1K and low-2Ks can be extremely nice listens, but all were quite notably flawed compared to the higher tier of carts. At your level, this will matter.

No ideas on the table, but that one looks nice!