Nottingham Spacedeck vs Rega Planar 8 vs Technics SL1200G

Hey Everyone,

An analogue newbie needs your advice.

Firstly I am not looking for any TT recommendations other than these 3.

My system is Devore O96, and the amplification would be either Lyngdorf 3400/Coincident Frankenstein combo or a Shindo pre/amp combo (forthcoming). The phono stage is TBD.

The sound I like is rich, full-bodied, with a good bass (I love percussion, and the double-bass instrument and  Mingus is my fav jazz artist). I am very sensitive to even a hint of brightness. I don't care about the typical audiophile presentation -- gobs of detail and soundstage but no soul.

My music of choice is jazz, vocals and small-scale instrumentals. No rock, no pop, no western classical.

Would love your thoughts on these 3 choices.

Since I am a newbie, easy setup is big win, which might tilt me towards the Rega or Technics, but with Nottingham I have a great dealer support that I would completely miss out on if I went with Technics (no Technics dealer in a 5000 mile radius).

I used to own a Rega RP6, so am familiar with Rega sound, and like it. But my RP6 was bested by my DAC (AMR DP-777) so sold it a few years ago. So I want a TT that will compete with any sub-10000$ DAC.

Looking forward to your thoughts that will help me scratch my analog itch.

essrand
So, I received the Oracle mat and the Project record weight for my Technics SL1200G.  I found that the whole presentation is enhanced with the bass being much more solid.  My question to Ralph or others, should I remove the sticky backing on the underside of mat and stick to my platter or leave the covering on?  I'm afraid if I stick the mat down, I won't be able to easily remove it if I need to remove the platter.  What do you guys and girls think?
I use a funk firm mat it came with some sticky clear double sided tape in little circles at 4 spots that do not hold the mat down real tight I can remove it easily, I think they are there to keep it from slipping. Does the Oracle have a complete coverage? If it does I would be worried about using it, maybe you could do small pieces of double sided tape
stereo5,

I have a SL1200G that Ralph modded for me with a Triplanar tonearm. I too use the Oracle Hard Acrylic mat that Ralph suggested. To answer your question; I have used the Oracle mat without removing the sticky back. My mat is not, stuck down to the brass platter. IMO, sticking the Oracle Mat to the brass platter is not necessary.

Ralph,might disagree with me, just to get every last bit of SQ that this might allow. I do not think it necessary.

I tried, the stock rubber mat, a new felt mat from my LP12, An old cork mat, an X- treme carbon fiber mat and some type of firm gel mat The Oracle mat provides great sonics through the entire spectrum. Highs are clear and extended without being harsh, Mids are right on. Bass with my Lyra is tight, textured and more solid.

I placed a small piece of blue tape on the edge of the mat and on the brass platter and marked them to detect any movement / slippage. Nothing has moved since I placed the mat in June 2017.

I also tried the brass record weight from my Kuzma TT, A SOTA reflex clamp, a Stillpoints LP1 record weight and finally settled on a 315 gr HRS record weight.

The Oracle mat and HRS record weight work well for me. 

If you decide to stick the Oracle mat to the brass platter; you will need to drill 3 holes in it to access the 3 bolts holding the brass platter if you need to, in the future. It would be hard to remove the Oracle Mat without damage if you stick it to the brass platter.

Thanks.  I thought the same thing. I doubt the mat will slip as it is quite a tight fit over the spindle.  I am going to leave it as is as it sounds so good.  That HRS weight must have been Uber expensive. 
So, I received the Oracle mat and the Project record weight for my Technics SL1200G. I found that the whole presentation is enhanced with the bass being much more solid. My question to Ralph or others, should I remove the sticky backing on the underside of mat and stick to my platter or leave the covering on? I'm afraid if I stick the mat down, I won't be able to easily remove it if I need to remove the platter. What do you guys and girls think?
Here is my recommendation: Do not install the three screws that are used to fix the platter to the motor spindle. Remove the sticky back and apply the pad to the platter. The platter is thus still removable and already has a snug fit on the motor spindle so no worries. But you will find that the sound improves- the coupling of the platter to the pad is important. This will allow the platter pad to work better with the damping system that already exists on the platter.

Yes, you'll have to destroy the platter pad to remove it. But I think you will find that the resulting turntable is so good that it takes on challengers much more expensive; IOW it will be years or never that you will have any need to remove the pad.