Which area of components to spend the most $ on? Boy I was wrong all my life!

I have been an audio junkie for about 25 years. All those years, I have read plenty of discussion posts and recommendations where to spend the most money on. The majority, even the experts recommend to spend the most money on speakers. Up to as high as 60% of the total budget.Example: CEO of PS Audio-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYwL7vPkPhg
I believed this all my life. Today, my eyes are opened. My total budget is about $15K.Before today, my system was:Speakers-Revel F36 Concerta 2 (For the money, this is the best speakers I’ve heard. I like it more than my previous Dynaudio Contour 30)Integrated Amp-Marantz PM-10 (Class D, balanced, 400wpc at 4ohms)CD Player-Oppo UDP 205 & Marantz CD 6005 (Some of the best in class)Line conditioner-Furman Elite PFi 15Cables-Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables (Sorry, not a cable nut. I’d rather spend money elsewhere)
I upgraded my front end CD player to... Marantz SA-11S3. I was BLOWN away! This is the greatest upgrade I have ever heard in my life. For 25 years, I was taught to spend the most in speakers. Sorry! It’s the FRONT END! The best source you can afford. The purity transcends down the river. I am blown away by the sheer improvement in detail, clarity, depth, the air around the instruments.
My philosophy has changed.
skimrn
What a Thread...!
First thought: it's generally conceded that speakers have the
toughest job - transducing electronic energy to physical. It follows
that here is where the "soundpath"is more likely to degrade. The source starts the journey at 100% (?- or less). All the stuff that follows can't improve, but will likely alter the signal to some degree.
Speakers are the component most likely to add or subtract the most:  They have the toughest job.
Second thought: Audio experience has more to do with what
you hear than any math calculation. Seems as tho' some folks work
back from their experience to justify their %s as universal.
Third thought: Too few responders have fully qualified their observations - it's THEIR sound: their equipment, their room, their ears and their brain (memory). Lots of variables here. Too many to attempt to allocate a hard and fast priority to certain components alone for every listener.
Personal comments & suggestions make for good conversation, but they are only that - personal. 2Psyop has it right and bigbobbydmoney's first sentence covers it all - simplistic, but true, non-the-less: "Building a system is a process based on one's listening preference and ears". (Oh - and the brain!)
Bo

The ’what to do after you already have a good system’ mentioned by axo0oxa is a good point. And something I could add to.
Once I have a ’decent’ system, (2010) I left it for a number of years. Mainly I finally bought some high end interconnects. Then I started last year on the system again, starting with te best speakers I would ever buy. Going from 3.6 Magnepans to 20.7 Magnepan.
I wondered what to get next, but ended up buying a high end SACD player to use mainly as a DAC. (The usual thing to get, a new amplifier, my trusted dealer said I did not need one, So I accepted his advice..) I COULD have gone for a Rega P10 turntable. But my previous DAC was a used $250 device... And I thought I also own already a Kuzma Stabi/Stogi S turntable which is pretty good already
Then I suddenly got back to some basics. Power cords, a few, that instilled the ideal to finally buy some real better AC duplex. and actually that was because they were on sale, getting something that is considered on of the best possible, at half price,, I jumped on it! Even though I did not start out to do it.) Discovering how much a difference a few made, I went crazy and replaced the entire system wide duplex, including replacing the AC duplex in the two power conditioners.This also was a ’get the best I can’, since I will never re-visit buying different ones. I went back to a basic underlying thing. (like when I bought cables, so those would last through other changes.)
So I kind of would say there are TWO areas of a SYSTEM.. the main part of components, and the underlying structure, like cables, AC, cords, conditioning, even racks.
At this point I am resting.. Actually just adjusting (still) the little bits, like the resistors in the midrange of my speakers. After spending months critically listening and adjusting... I am tired of it, and just want to listen to music...
But in the future.. I can see revisiting the turntable upgrade, and by another year will need at minimum new cartridges for my two TTs.
So my upgrading went in two cycles, the components, and the support system of cables etc. Curious the components, I cannot really say I am finished, the support some parts I did go as far as one can go.
@ivan_nosnibor Great post! 

It never ceases to amaze how we all prioritize and react differently to the same gear in the same room! That's why we all have to listen to as many different rigs, rooms etc. with music that you know well to overcome the huge challenge of wrapping your head around it and make conclusions that will best apply at home with your gear.

This has become one of the most interesting threads lately. Keep it coming! Cheers,
Spencer
@sns @kahlenz 

+1 for synergy. 

You could spend  $10k+ on a boutique single-ended tube amp and have it sound awful with a pair of $50k speakers, but amazing with a pair of $300 diy ones.

If your components don’t cooperate properly, you’re throwing money down the wrong rabbit hole in any direction. 
Strange you have been in the hobby for 25 years and are just coming to this realization. The Brits were suggesting this in the 1970s.