Where is great audio going? - Headphones and Mid-Cost

I've been thinking about this for a while. If CES is any indicator, the high end audio market is shrinking.
However, music consumption is not. Where is the disparity?

In my humble opinion, it is going to headphones and mid-cost gear.

Before I go too much deeper, let me say that I feel there is a big difference between "high end" and "very expensive."  Not everyone agrees with me. If a cable costs $30K it MUST Be high end right? That's not me.

The modern audiophile is much more likely to be into headphones. Discussions about headphones, and DAC/headphone amps have incredible high participation. I'd venture to say that there are a lot more headphone audiophiles today than traditional 2 channel.

This is for a couple of reasons. Cost is a factor, but also space. You don't need much more to have a great headphone setup than your desk. To get a great stereo setup you need the space, the acoustics, and considerate neighbors. The average apartment dweller (like me, sadly) just does not have the resources to build a home, with a separate listening room. Also, we spend so much time in front of our PC's, that if we are going to enjoy music, it makes sense we optimize for it rather than a listening room.

My point I think is that we are going to have to stop looking to $50k amps to drive the high end. We have to disconnect ourselves from the idea that price = value and start thinking about our community as being able to encompass more music lovers in the way they live today.

Best,

E
erik_squires

I spent a lot of time in high end emporiums talking and listening to components with prospective buyers of high end audio in the early 90's, and they were like firemen, and postmen; people with solid jobs and good taste in audio who were willing to sacrifice for good sound. Of course there were some some high rollers.

Since that time, salaries have gone down relative to inflation, and so have the number of good solid jobs.

From my point of view, in regard to economics, everyone here is living in a "wannabe" reality as opposed to a real reality.
I've spent the last 22 years of my life ANALYZING music on multiple two channel systems from buying and selling equipment endlessly while losing money in the process.

I sold my expensive two channel system and replaced it with a VERY modest system. 
I've gone into the high end headphone arena and couldn't be happier.  
Why?  Because I'm ENJOYING music instead of analyzing. When I think back to those 22 years of my life and realize it's time I'll never get back, it breaks my heart. 

Just remember... At the core of our obsession is a love for music. That's why we get the stuff we do.
So, just enjoy yourselves and be grateful you were given this gift of appreciating beautiful music. I know more than a few people who have no love for music and I'm so sad for them.

Not long ago at all, a Grado Master Cartridge cost $800. now they cost $1000, that kind of price increase occurred for all the solid, but not extremely expensive components in the high end.

PrimaLuna; the brand that's considered budget high end electronics, has almost doubled since it came out.

You will see Koetsu Urushi in sterophile listed at 4K, but it's now 6K.

While I consider that Urushi extreme high end, others may not; I don't consider Grado and PrimaLuna extreme high end, but their cost, while relatively high, is near the bottom of true high end audio.

I know that based on my income, I wouldn't even consider those components, but one must maintain one's standard of living whether one can afford it or not.

When people who consider HEA a necessity are dead, you can forget about it.

I think the manufacturers especially in the 'digital' domain are squeezing an already fairly small market with prices that are just not for the common person. All my friends have everything on their cell phones and are quite happy. You only have to see the people who go to Hi Fi shows to know that the much younger than I set are nowhere to be seen. 
With the advent of companies that are catering for the average Julie or John I applaud you for making reasonably priced Items of high sound quality for 'we the people', not 'we the few(er)'. 
Also, US dollar is over valued simply because it is the reserve currency . Taking 15% of "pie" off and allocating that to Chinese
is hand writing on the wall for financial markets .Trust in US in general is at all-time low .