KEF LS50 or Wharfedale Reva 2 -- which would you buy?

Hi all,

I am considering upgrading my speakers and am between the KEF LS50 and Wharfedale Reva 2 speakers. I'm not able to hear either one where I am located so am looking for some input.

I am also able to get the Reva 2s for about half the price of the LS50, but if the KEFs are the right move I am ok spending more time saving for them.

Some notes to consider:

- Speakers will be used only for music, not TV/ movies
- Receiver is an older Denon DRA 825R (90 watts/ channel into 8 ohms). Minimum is 6ohms (please don't suggest I get the UB5s).
- Turntable is Pro-ject Carbon Debut
- Room is about 15x17 apartment living room
- I listen to everything from classic rock to jazz to classical. I don't listen to hip hop, house, or modern pop.

I am really just looking for beautiful sounding (and nice looking) speakers at $1k or less (I can get the LS50 for $1k or the Reva 2s for $450). I live in an apartment so the music is never loud, just looking for great sounding speakers.

The reviews on both seem very good. The LS50 is clearly a more popular speaker. I guess the question there is -- is it worth an extra $550 for me?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
coaster86
@rar1 thanks Rich. I love the line where Guttenberg says something along the lines of ’Zu isn’t about making speakers that measure well and blah blah blah. Zu is about making speakers that kick a--.’

@b_limo thanks for that review of the LS50s, especially the last bit of advice about not upgrading in an inefficient way. Totally agree with the sentiment. I think overall, and I could be wrong, but the 90watt/ channel Denon DRA-825r amp that I have should be fine with the relatively inefficient KEF LS50s. Its known to be a powerhouse amp. Granted its older, but this thing is intense. Also, I don’t listen to music loud (I can’t - my neighbor is my landlord...) so I think it should work. The wireless set is great, and likely a pretty significant step up, but its beyond my price range at this time.

I don’t have any personal experience with that Denon but it does seem to get good reviews.

The thing is, the kefs will dip to 4 ohms (even 3) at certain freqs. so I think its best to have an amp that definately doubles down in power.  If the amp doesn’t do that, it can sound bright with these already bright / revealing speakers.

It looks like the Denon is rated for speakers 6-16 ohms.  The power looks to be 90 watts at 8 ohms and 140 at 4 ohms.  For comparison, the B&K Reference that I was using is rated at 225 at 8 ohms and 350 at 4 ohms; it was barely enough to wake them up.  

Also, a high effiecient speaker like a ZU will sound far more dynamic and involving at low volumes compared to the passive LS50’s with anything less than something like a Rogue Audio Sphinx or Hegel H150, in my oppinion.

I’m not trying to be argumentative here either so please don’t take it that way!  Just thinking outload :)
I have kept the LS50s for 4-5 months driven by a marantz integrated 8400.  I thought they sounded bigger than they look.  Objectively, I found them even with my Totem Hawks in terms of imaging/soundstaging, detail/transparency/resolution.  I have sold them because the Hawks sounded fuller and bigger, with stronger bass going down to 30Hz.
The LS50s are a very capable speaker, a bargain at the current price, and I would have kept them if I had not the hawks.
I also have tried the UB5.  The UB5 may have more even bass, but they are not near as refined as the LS50s.
Some may have found the LS50s somewhat bright - I did not hear that, but I felt the metal cone sounded fast and clear in the medium while a little over-emphasized, slower in the mid-bass (about a foot from wall and rear-speaker).
If I have the opportunity, I may buy them again.  Hard to beat the qualities of the KEF coaxial for the money.
Just to further complicate things...

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9a340-pbn-audio-micro-monitor-superb-speaker-system-monitors

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRM1/srm1.html

I would throw in Dynaudio Excite and I was looking for a few others for you as well but they must have sold.  

There were 2 different listings on Audiogin a few days ago for Active LS50’s for $1400.  Ifyou’re trying to get to an amazing level of sound as quick as possible for the least amount of money, go this route.  Its more now but you’ll save in the long run and end up with something very special.  I can tell you want LS50’s; I totally understand but I can share with you from many hours (100+ on both Actives and Passives over the past 3 months) of personal exerience, the Actives blow the Passives away (imho) and the passives sounded good.  I just think that there are other speakers out there in the $1000 range that sound better than the LS50’s until you have serious money ($5k?) in the front end.  

Used Passives-$750
Used Actives-$1400

If you’re willing to go $1000 on new LS50’s you might want to think about selling the denon for a couple hundred and trying to get a pair of Actives second hand.

Anyhow, do let us know which route you go and what you’re impressions are of whichever speaker you end up with!

I would check out Philharmonic Audio and the Philharmonitor for about $1300.00 Dennis makes wonderful speakers.