New 2018 KEF R series...?

Just saw the what-hifi review of the R3 which seems to be replacing the R300 (Not to be confused with the Ref 3) 

bit confusing name scheme. I suspect a lot of people are going to be confused in the near future.

anyway, what do you guys think? I figure they need a lot of space, I was interested in a Ref 3 for a time (NOT the R3) but I came to the realization I really needed about double the space I currently have. 

alas we are all the victim of our listening areas.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xd2girls
Currently I have monitor audio silver 8 speakers , and the bass is decent when I’m sitting in the right spot . I was wondering if the r11 would be too much bass . My room is an open layout with vaulted ceilings “ rancher style home “ I’m using a marantz pm11s3 to drive the speakers 
@crn3371 

I can't quite speak on the R3's, but I did just purchase a pair of the new R11 series floor standers along with the LS50 Wireless Nocturnes. The new towers sound incredible and look stunning in white. As a previous owner of the R900, I feel it's an enormous upgrade in both design, sound, and aesthetics. They are some VERY tall towers and command a visual presence in the room, even with my 80" flat screen in the middle. I've been listening for the past few hours at a good volume and not fatiguing as you listen. I generally greatly dislike boxy speakers, but front on it's not a concern. 

If anyone wants a test on the R11's, just let me know on sound material.

I think the R11’s sound incredible. I auditioned many speakers over the last year and I’ve found nothing that comes close for 5k new.

I’m using them in a 13’ x 11’ room and I don’t think they have too much bass. As a matter of fact, I originally purchased the R7’s from Audiodoctor and thought they were slightly anemic on the low end. So I returned them back to Dave and upgraded to the R11. I know he takes a lot of abuse here, but he’s been really great to work with!

I’m also using a Kef R400b sub crossed over at about 40Hz. I can’t actually "tell" there is a sub in my room until I turn it off. I played "Hotel California" from the Hell Freezes Over record, and you can really feel those kick drums in the beginning of the song. Maybe I just got lucky, but I don’t see what all the fuss is about re: sub integration.

They are just a very exciting speaker overall, and I find they have just enough detail without sounding too bright or harsh. They also image very well.

I’m pretty smitten right now. Over the next six months I plan on an amp upgrade (possibly the Hegel H190) and adding a Rega RP3 TT.

Cheers!
Joe

Audiotroy,

I see you recommend the new Parasound Hint 6 with the R-11’s (or all of them in general) and thinking about that amp. Right now I am going to try or coarse the integrated I already own, the Arcam A-49. I think it should be a great match, but if not, thinking about the Parasound Hint 6 or maybe the Rotel 1592. 

Hopefully will have my new R-11’s by the end of the week.

@telescope_trade When I spoke to Kef, they were able to tell me that they often pair their speakers with Arcam, Anthem, Hegel, and Parasound.