Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
**** Is it against jazzology to prefer Cables over Hick ?To my hears Hicks played it and Cables made love to it the way a mother
loves her child . ****

No, I don’t think so. I don’t disagree and I like your analogy. As you know the success and meaning of any duo performance (and relationship) is dependent on the contribution of both players and their interaction. A mother loves her child by also guiding and maybe even prodding the child. That is the kind of interaction I hear between Cables and Hicks. As beautiful as the Hicks/Morgan “Round Midnight” is one could say that Hicks’ approach is more like the way that a grandparent loves a child: a little deferential and even spoils the child. There is a clear sense that Hicks tends to wait for Morgan to “make a move” and then reacts with the accompaniment. On the other hand, Cables at times shows the way and Morgan follows.  Each approach to accompaniment sets up the solo piano turns.  To me Cables was always a player with great clarity of purpose and even tone; not a lot of ambiguity. Both great.

https://youtu.be/u_xy1sjKyZc

https://youtu.be/QXpBRRBA8h4
Thanks a lot frogman , that’s exactly how I saw it minus the grandparent,nice to know I’m not totally crazy .
All I could think of was given the fact Morgan was just out of the joint ,Cables was doing his best to lead Morgan, which gave me a lot of respect for him as a person .

I seldom mention the fact I was a case worker in a Federal prison for a year right out of college . When you have access to records and talk to guys
all day you realize that for most guys, given their life as a child , it would be a wonder if they were if they were not in prison !
Not to mention at least 1/3 should have been in a mental facility .I hate dope myself , but to put anyone in jail for use is a far bigger crime than anything they did , not to mention just plain stupid .

" At any  time during the  during the festival's run , when 500 concerts are staged at 20 venues , downtown Montreal hums with life ."

"Worlds Best 25 Jazz Cities "
Downbeat - February 2019

P.S . Montreal ALWAYS hums with life !
Post removed 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsun3GSfYYg
I’ll go out on a very long limb. I consider her performance of this masterpiece to be in the same class as Bill Evan’s rendition . To be honest , better .