It was 50 years ago today....

...that the Beatles played their last concert on the rooftop of Apple Records.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beatles-famous-rooftop-concert-15-things-you-didnt-kno...
128x128mofimadness
I think the Beatles songwriting, singing and arranging talents will never be equaled in the realm of pop/rock. In most interviews with musicians of that era and shortly thereafter,they say that listening to the Beatles caused them to pick up a guitar and play. They were indeed stood for much more than music as they led the cultural revolution through the turbulent mid- late 60s.  Virtually EVERYBODY listened to the music of the Beatles and loved the music. Some even sang about it (e.g."Beatles new record's a gas"--Ball of Confusion-Temptations). But now only the music remains. On the basis of their music alone, three of their albums are, to this day, in my top 10 of all time led by the U.S. version of Rubber Soul. Not to mention All Things Must Pass. So IMHO, they were not the second coming, but they were damn close.  
Correct Geoff. Let It Be was such a downer they wanted to go out on a higher note (they knew The Beatles were over. George had already started recording his All Things Must Pass debut, and Paul was also working on a solo album), so went in and recorded the Abbey Road album. Let It Be took so long to finish (John brought in Phil Spector, who ended up "over" producing the album) that Abbey Road, their final recordings, were released prior to the dismal Let It Be. I can’t listen to that album; it’s absolutely dreadful.
I'll take John Lennon with his fur jacket and Epiphone guitar on that rooftop as the iconic image of R&R in any era.