Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Interesting Frogman. Of all the "Miles stories" I have ever heard, I don’t remember any, where he was kind or did something for another person. Just tried to find some real quick with key search words, and just got some of his attitude in phrases. Miles and Kind = " What kind of crap  was that".
Schubert, do yo think your preference has something to do with the time each player is keeping?

It seems to me that Evans does not play a set time. Bill Evans tugs and pushes around the beat, and Eliane Elias and Ms. Horn, while quite different tempos, have a more set time, with Ms. Elias even providing the song with a sort of propulsion.

Another excellent pianist who plays around the notes, but still seems to drive the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffhDpEmsp8
Of course I know that comparisons at that level are silly .
But I like to hear what my betters in Jazz, which is almost every regular on here, have to say and I can learn from . Evans just seemed a little lost to me, no doubt he knew exactly what he was doing .
Elias plays with the heart and fingers of the music she was trained on and excellent at , J.S. Bach .
Even in her group efforts it’s there and that can’t be bad for serious music and is in my soul as well .

Shirley Horn is an icon to me ,period , she can do no wrong .
I’ve watched a few interviews of Miles , he seemed evil itself .

Of course  I'm influenced by time  , my heart has been giving me a class on it for over 8 decades .
  And watching  a conga master do the beat with one hand and melody with the other .

Just the sharing of personal points of view in the interest of expanding one’s own perspective.  No “betters”.  

https://youtu.be/pK8E0i1deY4

frogman , The greatest Christian theologians all agree we are all one in the eyes of God .The general view is that true humility is knowing both you virtues and your
faults .
I have ZERO doubt that your know MUCH more about jazz and classical music than I do and I know a bit about the latter.And you, and others, ARE my better in this context . And I am glad of it just as I would if I was in Hospital
and  learned my surgeon was a Harvard medical grad .

I also have no doubt that I know more about history and infantry tactics than
you .
Takes all kinds .