Best multi channel amp and processor good for 2 channel listening.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have a few questions in reference to HT processors.  I am starting from scratch and switching from a Krell S-1000 and S-1500.  I sold the processor a few months back and I going to list here the amp.

I am currently considering the new Bryston 9B3 and the SP4 and decision was based on upgrade ability and warranty. The speakers for HT will be Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home and for 2 channel Verity Otello’s.  My second choice was Classe but I was informed that they have all sales on hold, this is concerning.  I have not listened to either, my choice is based on reviews and the Bryston dealer.  My decision was also based they are both good for two channel, I am not set on this but it will help the budget and space.  I am looking for a warm and good over all sound; some might say 3 dimensional sound, clarity is also a factor.  Actually, all I’ve read in reference to Classe fits the bill.  I would like a couple of other choices to include in my short list and opinions are welcome. The budget for the processor and amp is approx. 22k.  

Thanks to all.....
maguiar
Hi frostdot,

What Sonus Faber do you like? I have an old pair of Grand Piano’s and still love them. I recently heard the Verity’s and fell in love all over again but I am thinking of still keeping the Sonus Faber for my Home Theatre and the Verity Otello’s for 2 channel. 

I am seriously considering the SP3 or SP4 but not sure which one. I am not going beyond 7.1, so what do you think? Maybe the SP3 with 4K? Any suggestions on the 2 channel amp to pair with this?
I’ll add my 2 cents...

The AVM60, in my experience, has been a great piece.  I own a pretty complicated room correction piece for my 2-channel setup, DEQX PreMate, and would not recommend it to anyone that’s not super interested in the minutiae of room correction.  The AVM60, very, very different story.  You load an app on your phone, run it and your done.  The onscreen GUI is really intuitive and very responsive. I’ve had some pre’s that lag when pressing a button, almost making you think the batteries are dying.  Updating the firmware, super easy, you plug an Ethernet cable in the back and navigate to the upgrade screen in the GUI.  All in all, I’ve had a very positive experience with it.  Not complicated, at all, very simplified.

I do not use it for HT bypass, as my 2-channel is entirely separated, so I can’t comment on that.
Maguire, its no secret that most people enchanted by the prospect of purchasing new audio gear tend to over estimate their actual music listening time compared to watching TV. Be honest with yourself. 

There's no shame in enjoying home theater. Mixing different speakers is a disaster, even centers and dipoles, let alone adding expensive high fidelity speakers with a giant display in between them. In the end both formats suffer greatly no matter who sets them up.

Since your situation may be changing why not a highly rated receiver, seven modestly priced identical easy to drive speakers and a small but expensive subwoofer for now. I'm guessing when you hear a comfortable nicely set up vacuum tube audio system your outlook may change. 

The only true audition is at home. Stay out of Magnolia and don't give your phone number out. Good luck and have fun with it.
Hi m-dB,

I am with you up to the tube part.  I contemplated a tube at first but don’t want to deal with the maintenance.  I am confident I can find a ss that can come close to a tube sound. Actually, I am currently researching T&A, Accuphase, Esotéric and my favorite so far Luxman. 

I am not sure what you mean by mixing speakers. I am considering keeping my Sonus Faber for surround and the Verity’s for music.
I have trolled several bankrupt studios and the equipment was auctioned off at low prices. One thing I came away with was the most critical areas of the studio had Bryston for amplification. At the time I was unfamiliar with the brand but after much research I can see they are the way to go if you want perfection of tolerance and longevity and FLAT response. They don't add or take away from the source signal. They are not warm or anything else, just ACCURATE. Some people say to bright, but it is the signal that is bright. I own Anthem equipment only because I could not afford Bryston. Anthem is good don't get me wrong but the studios know more than most on this forum.