Tube amp buzz (amp, not speakers)

Hello - 

Almarro a318b makes buzzing sound at random: sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, completely unpredictable. The buzz comes out of the amp itself, like a transformer buzz; the sound out of speakers is completely clean. 

I'll appreciate any ideas - what causes it, what to do?
boriso

Tube amp buzz (amp, not speakers)

Hello -

Almarro a318b makes buzzing sound at random: sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t, completely unpredictable. The buzz comes out of the amp itself, like a transformer buzz; the sound out of speakers is completely clean.

I’ll appreciate any ideas - what causes it, what to do? boriso

I also would say DC offset on the mains power if the amplifier uses a toroidal power transformer in its’ power supply.

Here are some pictures of the bottom side of the amp.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138713.0

I have no idea what kind of power transformer that is in the picture. You might want to check the supporting bolts and nuts for tightness. Do not over tighten. Unplug the unit from the wall outlet the night before you stick your fingers inside to assure the DC high voltage has completely discharged.
Run with the cover off and when buzz starts, touch various parts of the transformer and chassis and see if you can identify what is vibrating. Once you locate that, you can address it. 
Your a318b uses extremely high voltages.

As there is no guarantee that it is not still holding such high voltage, even days after being powered off/unplugged, only knowledgeable people should access the inside for diagnostics/repair.

DeKay
I used to own that amp. Holographic sound for sure. I always got a system "hum" when switching it on, even with a dedicated line and a power conditioner. Occasionally a transformer would buzz and I'd just unplug the unit and power up another time. I owned the Almarro about 3 years.
Post removed