The Tragic Decline of Music Literacy (and Quality)

128x128sejodiren

Millercarbon, every thing in the USA is in decline since 1960: I visited Detroit in 1965, and it was the most elegant city I have ever been to; it seems everyone drove a new car, and dressed in the latest quality fashions.

The first time I experienced "valet parking" was when we went to a nightclub to see Aretha Franklin; they also had hat check girls (just like in the movies), all new to me. I was taken around to visit some of the friends of my host, who lived in swell homes with "rathskellers", that was the term used for playrooms with bars.

Since I listen to what I consider the highest quality music available any time I'm woke, I consider this conversation quite valid in regard to the music; however, just citing the music would make one guilty of tunnel vision.

Fortunately I live near the College Conservatory of Music which offers opportunities I never would have experienced otherwise. Especially the new composers series that took place for three weeks during several summers. I met Steve Reich, Moritz Eggert and Kaija Saariaho as well as other contemporary composers and performers. And the school has had legendary professors such as Henry Meyer and Karin Dayas.
The Cincinnati College of Music and the Conservatory of Music merged in 1955, given that it’s faculty members taught at both schools. My grandparents graduated from the College of Music in the 1920’s, my grandmother a soprano and my grandfather a cellist. They played professionally i.e. my grandmother a soloist with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.
We also have a good orchestra in Cincinnati and a beautiful Music Hall which was just renovated not to long ago. However given all of this, it still fails to compete with European cities. I’ve lived in Paris and Cologne and can say that there isn’t a city in the US who can compare to the cultural advantages of either of these cities. Especially Germany and the reason comes down to money. Germany spends more money on financially supporting orchestras and other musical organizations more than anywhere else in the world. Musicians who play for the Berlin are better off than anyone else anywhere else. This being the reason for the New York Philharmonic losing its first chair cellist to the Berlin.
Additionally, most European children receive musical preparation on the piano and it is not uncommon for people to have a piano in their homes. I am probably a minority for having a console piano in my house.
Part of the information was also used to fuel the Thoughty2 youtube video posted elsewhere here. Also, the first part gives no reference to what survey it is referring to and the chart is quite amateurish with a low sample rate and from where?

The AI from Spain (same as video mentioned.)
"Besides the decline of music literacy and participation, there has also been a decline in the quality of music which has been proven scientifically by Joan Serra, a postdoctoral scholar at the Artificial Intelligence Research Institute of the Spanish National Research Council in Barcelona. Joan and his colleagues looked at 500,000 pieces of music between 1955-2010, running songs through a complex set of algorithms examining three aspects of those songs.."etc

I think people need to be aware of sites that just aggregate data and redress it for some relabeling. It is also "written" by a guy that provides financial services? Weird.
sejodiren,

I agree completely with you!
I played guitar many years ago. But it was by ear only. 
I never could go far.
So, I decided to stop.
sejodiren,

I agree completely with you!
I played guitar many years ago. But it was by ear only. 
I never could go far.
So, I decided to stop.
My best guitarist is Baden Powell. Genius.