How do I test new cables for faults before connecting them

I have use a new pair of dielectric-bias cables and want to be sure they are working properly before connecting to them to my equipment.  Somewhere I read guidelines on what to test for, but I can't seem to find the info now.

I've heard that if the bias systems in these cables go bad, there can be voltage leakage into the analog signal path that can damage equipment, so I want to play it safe.

Specifically I will be testing 36V Audioquest Cheetah XLRs.  Thanks for any advice!
byofuel
I agree simple voltage tester, any voltage other than zero. Switch to continuity, any continuity across ground and hot. bad. Switch to ohms, check if low..
If you have a good volt ohm meter you can test for directionality whilst you’re at it.
Thanks for the info!  It passed the continuity and voltage tests.

geoffkait -- I'm not familiar with a test for directionality -- is that for cables that are supposed to prefer current in one direction over another?  These are XLRs where the direction is fixed (different gender plugs on each end).  Still I'm curious of there's something else here worth testing for.