High resolution digital is dead. The best DAC's killed it.

Something that came as a surprise to me is how good DAC's have gotten over the past 5-10 years.

Before then, there was a consistent, marked improvement going from Redbook (44.1/16) to 96/24 or higher.

The modern DAC, the best of them, no longer do this. The Redbook playback is so good high resolution is almost not needed. Anyone else notice this?
erik_squires
I am not certain this is the same thing, but the Meitner PA6i preamp I had years ago had an absolute phase inversion button on the remote. I could not tell any difference whether the button was selected or not.
http://www.museatex.com/pa6i.htm

I have pro gear that has a phase inversion button. Kind of useful to quickly check things. I am surprised that nobody has this. Amazing that this hobby values fancy cables and the effort that goes into swapping that fancy stuff out but a simple polarity switch seems too complex!

I have pro gear that has a phase inversion button. Kind of useful to quickly check things. I am surprised that nobody has this. Amazing that this hobby values fancy cables and the effort that goes into swapping that fancy stuff out but a simple polarity switch seems too complex!

Um, no one has it because almost no one finds any value in it.

But rather than swap cables you can always swap your speaker connections. This is something everyone can do.

For those of a digital mindset, you can use the public utility SOX to invert absolute polarity on most common formats. Makes it easy to experiment at home.

Best,E

@erik_squires

Are you saying nobody knows or cares what polarity is anyway and wouldn’t notice if they got it wrong. So a quick polarity check with a button is superfluous.

Are you saying that you can swap cables quick enough to A and B back and forth for polarity? I find that an amazingly archaic approach that could easily wind up in errors between one speaker and another and one component and another.

I listened to a 50K system recently and wound up informing the owner something was out of phase. He was puzzled initially but thanked me after he fixed it. Not sure how long that situation had gone on - a simple switch makes it much easier to check.