Best multi-purpose subwoofer

Best multi-purpose subwoofer - meaning it fulfills my pursuit for audiophile 2 channel listening and my home theater needs. I have a large TV room 22x22x8 (LxDxH) with floor standing Von Schweikerts VR4 speakers. Room is used both for dedicated 2 channel listening as well as home theater. Unfortunately the design of the room is not the best as it has glass on one side (leading to the backyard) and laundry room behind (meaning its also the family room). Currently I have a 8 inch NHT SW1 old subwoofer which needs an upgrade. The maximum dimensions I can afford on a subwoofer is  15x18x20 (LxDxH). 
As mentioned I want to be able to connect a High Level Input (for 2 channel) and .LFE for HT - so the subwoofer will need to have both. Grace for dedicated listening as well as power for HT. The only time I would consider a larger subwoofer is if it has wireless capabilities so I can place it anywhere in the room. 
Any suggestions on which subwoofer may work best for me? 
128x128ghulamr
millercarbon:

" Like, we all talk about this stuff with regard to bass, when in reality its not only bass but all frequencies. With bass its in your face obvious. But its across the board."

Hello millercarbon,

From your last post, I can tell you have a good understanding of all this stuff.  
     I agree with your comment that all frequencies are important in a room for good sound reproduction.  I've reached the conclusion that, since bass frequencies behave differently than midrange and treble frequencies in any room mainly due to the large differences in the length of their sound waves, it's best to treat them separately.
     I've learned to get the bass response functioning properly first since it's the most difficult to get it sounding good in most rooms due to the very long lengths of low frequency sound waves.  I think you agree with me that a precisely positioned 4 sub distributed bass array is the best method of achieving this.  There are no mics, room correction software or hardware, parametric equalization and room treatments required.  The complete Audio Kinesis Swarm or Debra bass systems work very well, come with everything needed and are relatively inexpensive but any 4 subs will work as well or better as long as they're positioned properly, although they'll cost more.
     Once the bass is sounding good, the next step is to get the remaining midrange and treble frequencies sounding good which involve different room considerations due to the much shorter sound wave lengths involved.  These frequencies also reflect off room boundaries but colliding midrange and treble sound waves are so numerous they're normally perceived as an 'airy' quality.  The most important factor for good stereo imaging is that the direct, non-reflected sound waves from both the l + r speaker reaches the ears first before any reflected sound waves do.  Room treatments, that absorb or redirect first reflections, are proven methods to ensure this happens at the selected listening position. The later reflected midrange and treble sound waves arrive at the listening position, the better.
     But I'll refrain from further discussing the proper speaker and room configurations for good midrange and treble response at the listening position since most reading this are likely already knowledgeable about them.

Tim
millercarbon,

Just callin' em like I see'em.  I'm just enlightening guhlamr to some pertinent truths.  It's his money, system and choice.  Besides, I'm almost certain he'll be happier with multiple 12" subs than a single 15" sub. 
     Everybody also knows I'm the chump responsible for guhlamr's happiness.  And let me tell you, millercarbon, it's a lot of gosh darn constant pressure!

I'm just hoping I don't blow a gasket,
Tim
Hey I have a question. My first post on the forum, been ghosting for a while. Why don’t people like the martin logan dynamo subs? 
@noble100. 
Believe me I have read your post in detail slowly, sometimes a couple times and it has a wealth of information in it - and all of it makes sense and follows the audiophile do’s and dont’s. I am now inclining to give the Swarm base system a serious consideration. 
Can you help shed some light on how you best play 2 channel music with the Swarm system? I understand playing HT you can connect to the processor LFE - but how to best play 2 channel? 
Currently I play my 2 channel using the Benchmark DAC as preamp powered by Simaudio W5 amp driving VR4 speakers.