Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Amazon has it under 'Schubert Grigory Sokolov' Sonatas D 894 and 960. A two disc set which only contains the two sonatas, one on each disc. A Naive disc OP30387. BTW the 894 ain't chopped liver!  :-)

This set is also part of the "Complete Recording" set referred to above so if you want to hear more from him this set is certainly worthwhile.
No. 2 seems much more put together, if still very "virtuoso" in style.  I'm really enjoying Cecile Licad's playing, beautifully delicate in the quieter passages, accompanied by Mr Previn.
pete
i gave up on lp's, too much trouble to keep clean
and i gave up on cd's because i could not keep track of them
i keep everything on a hard drive
and it easy to locate a composer, a musician, a particular piece of music
I use a program "qBittorrent" to handle the downloads to the hard drive
there are a number of free peer to peer (p2p) sites that are good sources of recordings
these sites remove any recording if/when a copyright holder objects
they specify the quality of the recording, so i don't bother with mp3
unless it is some song i am trying to learn and there is no better source
there are lots of dead and incomplete links, so it takes a bit of fishing
but there is a universe of free high quality music out there
newbee, I will check the presto site. I did run across it recently so time to look further.
  1. So I picked up Schubert Impromptus Decca Brendel edition. Played disc 1 everyday on the way to work. I think I only have one other Schubert disc.
  2. Faure Piano Quintets Hyperion (used) I guess high-romantic? Not sure yet but sounds fine.
  3. Wranitzky- the one another poster suggested. I like it.
  4. Wood Works- Danish String Quartet I like this, nordic folk themes.
  5. Luigi Nono- La Lontanza nostalgica.. It might take a minute. Nice sound though.
  6. Danish String Quartet Beethoven, Shostakovich, Bach
  7. Phillip Glass Partitas for Solo Cello-from what I recall, I need to try it again. I honestly must have just gone by reviews on this I don’t have much Glass.
  8. Vivaldi --Concerto per violino VI ’La boemia’ - very nice, naive disc.

I am reading the Brahms book before I tackle the Bach.
Listened to the first two movements of Mahler’s 6th on the way to work yesterday, I guess I’ve had it forever. Is that considered a good showpiece or is there a better one? I mean for main system experience.