Apogee Grand: best speaker ever ?

What are your opinions on this discontinued Apogee's flaghship ? Who really heard them and what's your memory about ?
luke72
I owned the Studio Grands powered by a pair of Krell 300S, I sold them in fear of never being able to get support in the event something broke.

I now use a pair of Magnapan 3.6 powered by Audio research Ref 300 MkII.

The Apogees were POWERFUL, delicate and involving. They were a complete nightmare to setup - just when you thought you had them placed in their optimum place, you would move them a 1/4 of an inch and they would sound completely different. I got tired of wondering if I had the best placement.

The Magnapans sound better in some ways - maybe more relaxed and musical - but they lack the authority of the Apogee's.

I'd have to say the Studio Grands were the best sounding speakers I have ever heard (also the most work to listen to).
Thanks Kwb for your post. Anyone that had the opportunity to heard the Grands (not Studio or Mini, the Grand itself) ?
I purchased the Grand Diva brand new back around 1991. I had them triple amplified with Goldmund Mimesis 9s amps and Goldmund preamp.
Neighbors just to show up at my door to repeatedly experience the 'Diva experience.'   Running the Divas at night with the light real low was a fantastic, surreal, mind blowing experience.  I kept the Grand Divas for about 20 years and then finally sold them to a very thankful buyer. They never lost any of their performance attributes through the years. The Grand Divas provided sonic nirvana.