Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
...wow, you have been posting a lot lately, lot's of good jazz waiting to be played. Thank you pipl.
Well thanks for saving me time acman, as always you’re on the ball !

All these guys are excellent players no doubt about that .
But IMO Gonzalo is at a higher level than any one of them .I have no way of knowing, at least till the 14 of his CD’s I ordered yesterday get here , but I would would be surprised if he has any chart other than his heart and head .

This is a very deep man !

Gonzalo Rubalcaba may very well be the '1st among equals' in this group we're discussing but as I mentioned before, they all have very extensive discographies.  They've all gone through 'electric' phases, big band phases, small combo and of course, solo phases.  What yr doing, buying a grab bag of records is the best way to check ANY artist out as it's close to impossible to know what's up from a single recording.  My 1st Gonzalo record is an import from Cuba, the GR Proyecto, he was a very young man and VERY deeply into the Return To Forever/Weather Report/Irakere sound.  Very loud, electric, rhythmically challenging, and very exciting stuff.  To get where he is TODAY, from where he started, lets just say he's had an outstanding, very illustrious, accomplished career and regardless whether its Fusion or acoustic, its always been excellent!
Only one man’s opinion, but still....

”Gonzalo Rubalcaba is the most gifted pianist on the planet” - Sir Simon Rattle