Beyond the sound of things, and into the soul of things.

Beyond the sound of things, and into the soul of things.

Hi-res audio blows MP3s and AAC files out of the water. Essential data is lost when you listen to music via MP3 files because of the lossy compression that makes these files smaller. High-Resolution Audio can replicate the whole range of sound that the artist created when recording the content. Sony understands the importance of preserving the originality of music, which is why we’ve developed Hi-Res Audio products that allow audiophiles (like you) to listen to music in the best sound quality.

I listened to a file that I had downloaded in WAV which is a higher resolution than FLAC; this was Santana "Abraxas", an LP I bought in 1970, and since that time, have worn out many copies; to say I know every note on that LP is an understatement.

When I compared that file to my pristine LP, it was first in the lineup. As I listened, "It just doesn't get any better than this," I thought.

Now it was time for the LP; as the wax spun, I was floored on the first note; it was so definitive; after that keyboard intro, Santana's guitar just hung in the air, followed by the banging notes on the keyboard again, and then those unforgettable chimes; "Singing Winds and Crying Beasts" is the most perfect instrumental ever; IMO.

While the Hi-Res sounded good, the LP in my room felt good; I was flooded with all the memories I had experienced with this music playing in the background. Does anyone remember "Black Lights"; they made ladies legs glow in the dark when they wore certain kinds of stockings, what a scintillating sight.

So many colorful memories of my misspent youth passed before me as I listened, if only I could misspend them again. That's what the LP did for me; it regenerated my soul with it's soul; LP's have life, digital is the sound after it has been stripped of it's life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn50ipwWarg

Can you relate to the "Soul" of things?

orpheus10

The vices we had in our youth are almost forgotten memories that can be triggered by music.

My thesis is that the intensity of the memory is dependent on the quality and intensity of the music; the ultimate rig would bring back the memory associated with the music in life like detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJPJ6SYQ5Fk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJkxFhFRFDA
I'm a music lover who grew up listening to music from the 60's and 70's, many from a handheld transistor radio. My parents owned a radio that sat on top of our fridge that played mostly one AM station on Sunday mornings and a record player that was supported in a 4 legged cabinet. I got my first (portable) record player for Christmas at 12 years old and with it Diana Ross and the Supremes Christmas Album (Which I still have unscratched) and a 45 from "My Fair Lady" now long lost. My first stereo (one of those record player/AM/FM contraptions) was bought at a pawn shop when I graduated from high school.

I say this because not everyone grew up listening to music with great sound quality. Even as adults, not every has the means (or desire) to own vinyl AND its CD duplicate to compare. I have more than a few dozen LP's and their CD counterpart. I love the convenience of CD. I ripped the LP's that have no CD counterpart to my computer with Audacity.

Not everyone has a passion to keep vinyl clean or listen to the (rare or many) clicks and pops they present or get up and flip it when one side is done or pay the price it takes to make vinyl sound better that CD. Another thing is with vinyl you HAVE to listen to every song, even if you don't like it. CD, you can skip what you don't like (probably a major reason why CD sells are bottoming out and streaming is so popular).

For me, the "soul" is in the music itself. Not how it's transported. Memories can be triggered by music no matter how its transported, vinyl, CD, cassette tape, reel to reel, streamed or live. I've experienced them all at some time or other. I don't insist that one is better than the other for anyone. I know what I like and I'm fine with others enjoying music how ever they like.

On another note, not all artists have their music on vinyl. Just think of all the great music we'd miss out on if they didn't exist.

Curious thinking. We have ''all great music we'd miss out on if they

didn't EXIST'' while the ''SOUL of the music EXIST in the music

itself''. Identity of any entity exist in itself. This way we don't need

to think about the question how properties are possible without

any bearer of the property. ''Properties on their own'' so to speak. 

"Properties on their own"                                    
A true Platonist.. The FORMS.. things exist in a perfect form beyond our mortal realm, and we see but shadows of them....      
My take is our unconscious minds like something, and most folks think it is numinous, when really it is just your own mind, parts you don't really know. Many people give extra weight to bits coming from the unknown parts of their minds.  
Sometimes this is good, sometimes bad. Good is called genius, bad is called madness.

Dear elizabeth, I am more optimistic because I believe that

''conscious minds'' can produce clear statement which truth

of falsity can be grasped. There is an short description for

this: ''facts are true statements''.