Why not horns?

I've owned a lot of speakers over the years but I have never experienced anything like the midrange reproduction from my horns. With a frequency response of 300 Hz. up to 14 Khz. from a single distortionless driver, it seems like a no-brainer that everyone would want this performance. Why don't you use horns?
macrojack
So horns sound like Bose 901s. I guess that settles it :-)

To trell the truth I like my 901s in my swimming pool room, but they won't get in to my living room.
Bose in a swimming pool room sounds appropriate as they are designed to echo off the walls. However, I can't begin to imagine how they would ever approximate the sound of any horn, good or bad.

Hifisoundguy seems to be a shill, and a very poor one at that. Is there anyone here who takes any of his many Bose 901 recommendations seriously?
04-30-11: Macrojack
"Is there anyone here who takes any of his many Bose 901 recommendations seriously?"

I've seen HFSG's several hundred Bose 901 recommendations and just figured that he really likes them, wants to stir the pot a bit around here (hey, we could use that), or both.
Comparing them to horns, he's taken it to a whole new level.
901s are ok but, comparing (901s) to a horn system is weak.
In the Hi-Fi game, I doubt 90% of the community have seen (or much less heard) a "Horn" system. I say this from the prospective of observing reactions from those coming through my door.
Big, you bet, just like the audio presentation.
Overkill, guilty as charged.
Expensive, duh.. yea!
Build yourself a Super KHorn setup and be smug when someone starts bragging about "their" set-up.
I've been getting a kick (for more than a few decades) doing it.
Just to reassure potential horn owners - Horn based loudspeaker systems DO NOT attract pests and vermin the way that horn based threads tend to.
I suspect many horn owners keep quiet about what they have at home out of fear that they might attract the attention of bashers, busters and boneheads. Certainly reading Audiogon threads with "horn" in the title seems to make participation risky. It isn't really. They're all talk and mostly just repetitive. All hat - no cattle.

So feel free to sing the praises of your big beautiful speakers if that's your wish. I've been doing so for a couple of years now without any infestation -- just a few insults and a little derision and name calling -- things I learned to ignore back in second grade.