I’m gob smacked. What were you’re aha moments?

Had a productive couple of weeks on the used gear market and today has been digital demo day (Analog arrives next week). Added a Bryston BCD-3 and original Tara Labs Prime I/C’s to my system at very good prices. 

I don’t have “golden ears” by any stretch but I’m gob smacked at the results.

The BCD-3 is replacing an Oppo UDP-205 w/ DHL BL-1 I/C’s. Rest of gear is an Anthem STR integrated and ML Monti’s. My bass has easily doubled, maybe tripled. I can feel the pressurization in my room and it’s tight not bloated. 

I think this has been the biggest jump up in SQ I’ve experienced. What were your biggest surprises/improvements regardless of budget?

lmnop
The first time I heard Maggies was a moment for me.  The end of box speakers in my home.

Interestingly, my wife was good with getting 20.7s, but room size ruled the day.  It was 14 years ago and we have not looked back.
It was setting up and listening to my Apogee Duetta Sigs in 1991. Still sound great today.
MIT styrene capacitors. Opened up the whole modification trail. Then the DIY trail. Now everything practical is made of air gap or vacuum caps and nude Vishay or nichrome wire resistors.
First was AR3a speakers powered by a Dynaco Stereo 120.Most recent was PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium preamp and Dialogue Premium HP amp.