Groovy Picture

In commemoration of the Grammys.

This photo shows a colorized scanning electron microscope image of a phonograph needle in the groove of a vinyl record. The texture inscribed along the walls of the spiral groove replicates the soundwaves as they were recorded.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=wE0pmwsl&id=3A480F272429B2A3765C569B4B...
steakster
As an aside although you did mention it Chakster.
I just purchased a Jico S.A.S stylus direct from Jico and had them ship it from Japan to me here in USA. Much cheaper than buying from any dealer here!

This was for a Shure M91e on my old Dual 1019 table and so far it is eye popping good and nowhere near broken in yet.

For anybody even thinking of trying a Jico S.A.S just go direct via their excellent website.
S.A.S. is great @uberwaltz 

We've been buying them years ago, our Number One propagandist of S.A.S. is Halcro :) He has not only S.A.S. on boron cantilever (not available anymore from Jico), but Neo S.A.S. available on Sapphire or on Ruby cantilevers.   

Which one you have? 
I've only tried Boron S.A.S for Technics 205 series. 

There are a few old ones (NOS) for Shure cartridges available on ebay. 

I have only one cartridge for SAS replacement, this cartridge is Garrott P77, but the replacement is made for Shure cartridges as far as i know. 

They gave us good information about different profiles in comparison with their S.A.S. (Super Analog Stylus) on their website
bimasta,

You raise an interesting question.  I don't know if there are many modern advances in cartridge design.  Fundamentally, design has not changed in a long time.  Even the exotic forms, such as optical cartridges (light source, shade attached to the cantilever, and photoelectric sensor); and field-effect transistor cartridges have been around for some time.  So, it really comes down to a question of whether there has been any significant refinements or variations on existing basic models.

The notable one, to me, is Audiotechnica's ART 1000 cartridge which attaches very tiny coils to the tip end of the cartridge (just behind the stylus).  As far as I know, this is a unique design.  I think the cartridge sounds quite good.  I heard it in a setup which usually features Koetsu cartridges.  By comparison, it is a leaner sounding cartridge than typical Koetsu cartridges.  I liked its very lively presentation--it sounds quite dynamic.  
The notable one, to me, is Audiotechnica's ART 1000 cartridge which attaches very tiny coils to the tip end of the cartridge (just behind the stylus). As far as I know, this is a unique design.

The ART 1000 is similar to the Neumann DST:
http://www.badenhausen.com/images/Neumann1.gif
Ketchup,

Thanks for the really interesting Neumann sketch.  It certainly looks like a similar design, with the magnetic pole pieces and the coils oriented differently.