I’m gob smacked. What were you’re aha moments?

Had a productive couple of weeks on the used gear market and today has been digital demo day (Analog arrives next week). Added a Bryston BCD-3 and original Tara Labs Prime I/C’s to my system at very good prices. 

I don’t have “golden ears” by any stretch but I’m gob smacked at the results.

The BCD-3 is replacing an Oppo UDP-205 w/ DHL BL-1 I/C’s. Rest of gear is an Anthem STR integrated and ML Monti’s. My bass has easily doubled, maybe tripled. I can feel the pressurization in my room and it’s tight not bloated. 

I think this has been the biggest jump up in SQ I’ve experienced. What were your biggest surprises/improvements regardless of budget?

lmnop
When I got rid of my Preamp and dac and got a direct stream dac/ preamp from PS audio. It was like holy crap what the F just happened. How can one piece of equipment make such a difference?

My B&W 802N speakers finally sounded perfect. Silky smooth highs and mids with plenty of base that was lacking previously. 
Switching from NAD M51 Dac (very good) to an Audio Note 3.1. A week later I changed out the Bryston 1b pre for a Audio Note M3 line pre.

Just another level I guess. 
@Imnop, What prompted you to replace your Oppo UDP-205? We have (had) very similar systems. I have UDP-205, integrated (Pass Labs instead of Anthem) and ML Montis.  My main reason for getting the Oppo was the combination of transport and dac w/balanced outputs.  What are you using for a dac now?  To get on topic, my biggest and first "aha" moment occurred in high school early 70's.  I was looking to get some cheap department store all in one.  Guys I worked with hooked me up instead with AR-XA table, Kenwood integrated and Advents.  Hooked from then on.  The next was getting Infinity IRS Gamma.  Would not have sold them except for reliability issues.
I have several occasions; replacing my PS Audio Directstream DAC with Lampizator Golden Gate Balance, replacing GG Balanced with Lampizator Pacific Balance.

Replacing my Sonus Faber Toy Tower with Audiokinesis JM 2.0 + Space Generator.

Replacing my Auralic Aries with LDM servers.

It's a very long and enjoyable audio journey. :)
I was a resident physician at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, occasionally hanging out at Chestnut Hill Audio - one day Jack Rubinson (for all you Philly 'Philes - here's a shout out to Jack for all he did for all of us back in the day) has Quad ESL-63s out ---  Gob Smacked!! I moonlighted for 3 months, bought the demo pair, later added Gradient Subs (Gob Smacked again), sold them, missed them, eventually bought the Quad ESL-2905's because, well, you know, once you listen to Quads, nothing else will do....