Ownership and Review of a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder

Greetings all - I recently ordered a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder speakers, or SSC-4900's. They are in the middle of the Ohm Walsh lineup, and are about 38 inches tall and the cylinder cabinets about 12.5 inches in diameter.

Specs are listed at 88 dB for a 2.8 V input, and a response curve of +/- 3 dB from 25 to 20,000 Hz. 

This whole process is part of a "high end, high value, USA made two channel system" thread I started a couple of months ago on another forum. The electronics are the PS Audio Stellar Gain Pre-amp/DAC and a pair of PS Audio M700 mono amps.

The PS Audio equipment has already elevated the Axiom M100's and Martin Logan Electro Motion ESL speakers in terms of performance. The Axioms have a "twin" available in Brick and Mortar outlets from Bryston called the A1's. 

For reference, other speakers which we have or still have in house include: Klipsch LaScala II's, Legacy Signature SE's, Infinity IRS Sigmas, Ascend Sierras, PSB Strata Goldi, VMPS Super Towers and a host of other speakers. 

The Ohm Walsh speakers have been something about which I have read since 1977 (the year I got the audio bug), but have never had the chance to experience. The SSC-4900's sell for $4900 per pair, though the name and pricing are coincidental. The "4900" is due to the idea that the speakers are "almost a 5000", but with less controls - one switch vs. 4 for the 5000, but also a lower price.

John Strohbeen, who is he president at Ohm and who has been with them for almost 40 years, was gracious enough to spend an hour talking on the phone about our room, the associated gear, and also that there would be a review thread. It was after this discussion that we decided on the SSC-4900's. 

I am purchasing the speakers, not getting a review pair. They are under the 120 day return policy. John is well aware that my daughter sings opera, my son is adept at classical guitar, and that live music is the reference. He was actually quite pleased about this. 

This will be fun (at least for me), and hopefully informative. Comments are welcome. 

I honestly have no idea what to expect from the Walsh sound. They are so different from other speaker designs that the only thing to do is set them up properly and hear what happens! 
craigsub
I picked up a pair of kef ls50 over the holidays as a treat replacing other older monitors.   Run them in my 12x12 office with a sub.  I like them alot especially with the sub.  My big Ohm 5s still rule though in the adjacent much larger room. Also moved the Dynaudio Contours into my wife's sunroom where they continue to impress.  My smaller Ohm 100s have found their home in our family room 2 channel a/v system where they are a perfect fit.  Everyone always in the sweet spot!
I found this thread via a link in Ohm Acoustics periodic emailed newsletter that featured craigsub’s comments on his SSC-4900’s.  It’s been a true treat to read through all the posts.  Having been an Ohm user for almost 15 years, it’s been very rare to find much commentary online about them, especially from actual owners who are so pleased with their Ohms.  I count myself in your camp, most definitely.  With John’s patient and friendly consultations - isn’t he just great to work with?! - I purchased a MicroWalsh home theater system in 2004 (Talls, Center, Short Omni’s and SMB-10 subwoofers) and got thousands of hours of enjoyment over the the last 15 years.  Although I had a Denon AVR-3805, it turned out to be mainly 2-channel listening and I loved the sound of my Ohm’s.  We’re moving into a new home in another 6-8 weeks and my budget is a little larger than it was back then, so I am upgrading to Walsh Tall 1000’s for the front L & R as well as center (it’s a relatively small room with only 10-11 feet to the listening positions).  Ohm’s trade-in policy was definitely a blessing in this transaction: I sent in my Talls, the Center and the subwoofers a couple weeks ago and Ohm gave me very fair value.  Also, Ohm suggested that for my surround channels, my existing MicroWalsh Short Omni’s should work just fine given the room they’ll be in.  This, to me, is excellent business practice: actually help the customer, don’t just try to upsell them.  A final comment about amplification.... I am going with a Denon AVR again (this time the x4500H) for all its great processing features, WiFi and app enablement, streaming, etc.  However, a friend who’s a digital audio engineer convinced me to use the Denon’s pre-outs and get Class D amplifiers for the front L, R and center channels.  I got Crown XLS1502’s (300W into 8 ohms, 575W into 4 ohms) and while I’m waiting for my new 1000’s hooked one up to my 15-year-old MicroWalsh Omni’s.  OMG, what a revelation!  The sound is so effortless and open regardless of volume (and I cranked them pretty hard) and the bass depth and musicality is so much better and the amp isn’t even breaking a sweat.  When I mentioned in an email to Evan at Ohm my plan for using the Crowns, he replied “....we’ve been using Crowns in the lab for decades; they sound great and will take all kinds of abuse...”. So, I have new insight into why craigsub is so happy with his PSAudio monoblocks as are the others in this thread who’re feeding their Ohms with amps that have a lot of headroom.  I am thinking I might have to get another Crown to power the surrounds.  :-)
@tjj99... If you like this thread, check out the Micro Walsh Talls, Who's Heard Them thread, one of largest here.  Yes, Ohms respond well to gobs of power, no question.  And yes, John and everyone at Ohm are a pleasure to deal with.  My 2000s are probably my last pair of speakers.