Am I deaf?

Hello all,
Just got a Chord Qutest to use as an outboard dac with my Oppo BD 105. Connected the Chord to the Oppo coax out with an Audioquest Carbon coax cable. $2100 for the Qutest including the cable! I'm not hearing it. I think the Oppo dac may sound a bit better than the Chord. Tried all the filters. Am I nuts?
Ben
honashagen

Just to confirm, you are comparing CDs, not SACDs, right?  The Chord would decode the CD layer, while the Oppo could play the SACD layer.

In any event, I don't think you're going nuts, you just prefer your Oppo's sound.  While there are differences in DACs, they may not be as great as you would be led to believe, and some of the differences are more sonic "flavorings"--hence the different filter settings on the Chord.  Could you find one you liked better than the others?

You’re just being honest to yourself. Not as fun maybe but will save money and time. Or let you put your money where they differ most.
Back in the day when the first Bryston DAC was made. Rave reviews both TAS and Stereophile. I bought one $2300.. To replace my old mid 90's bought used for $250 DAC. Sell, I listened and I listened and no better. I returned the new DAC after about three weeks on 24/7.         
After over seven years gone by, same dealer suggests I try Marantz SA-10. Borrow it. Hey it actually is better. So I buy the $7000 device.I suggest magazines have a vested interest in over-hyping new stuff.And particularly DACs can be tough to find one that REALLY is a lot better. most are similar sounding.. Unless you have a way high end system... Cables, power cords, tubes, phono cartridges all have far more differences than the DACs out there.
Not nuts. The Oppo is a good DAC. There are lots of great DACs out there and they are sounding very close. Try PS Audio Direcstream if you want something a little different - smoother and more analog sounding without loss of resolution. Also try a tube preamp, a great way to get old analog sound from what can be otherwise all SS gear and you can roll tubes to taste.