What is your experience with the law of diminishing returns ?

As subjective as it might be. Personally, I have not encountered it yet.
inna

Inna, if I was rolling in dough, I wouldn't buy a 10K power cord, and since I'm scientifically inclined, I would not even buy a 1K power cord; where's the science?
I spent $13,850 on new speakers, and I was born when Truman was President. No problem. In fact the best new purchase I ever made to improve the quality of my listening experience with added small tweaks. (and some of those expensive yes.)   
I also agree..Once you have a high end system, the little tweaks can add plenty to the final sound. When I had $1K to $2K a pop bits, hard to tell what a cable did, what a power cord did. Even at $5,000 a pop not so easy. Now.. wow, I can change the sound moving a power cord from a Furutech GTX-D Gold duplex, to the neighboring Furutech GTX-D NCF Rhodium duplex. easy to hear the difference.
So you are saying every time you spent more on something and did a comparison , the more expensive item sounded better ? One in a million odds of that happening . 
Law of diminishing what? I know I'm aging but what in the hell is the OP on about? *laffs